Easy Gorgeous Moroccan Tile Planters

$2

The other day I was visiting my local tile shop, helping a friend pick some tiles out for her kitchen. When I spotted some lovely Moroccan tiles.

I'd made a Moroccan style wall planter last year out of a pallet (see here) which I'd loved.

The samples were only 30p (40 cents) each so I ended up buying some because they were so lovely. The tiles sat on my desk for a few weeks being used as coasters until I got the idea to make these gorgeous planters.

These planters were so easy to make. All you need are 4 tiles the same size. Some super glue (like this one) and an empty 2 liter soda bottle.

The first thing you do is get one tile and lie it face down. Then add a strip of superglue to the back of the tile. Quickly grab another tile and stand it up 90 degree to the tile on the table so that it sticks to the super glue.

Hold the tile in place until the glue dries about 30 seconds.

Then repeat the process glueing a tile to the opposite side.

Next add glue to the top edges of the tiles standing up and lay to fourth tile against them.

If you notice the tiled box is no longer square so a fifth tile will not fit across the bottom. That is why I used a soda bottle to make it into a planter.

I cut the bottom of the soda bottle so it was just fractionally shorter than the tiles.

I then squeezed and pushed the cut bottom of the bottle into the tile box. As this was a tight fit the soda bottle stayed in place even when the tiled box was lifted up.

Next I then added some stones for drainage and soil before planting a succulent in the pot.

I've just made a three tier planter shelf from wood slices (see here) and these planters look fabulous on it.

You can see more details and photos on the blog post.

These Moroccan planters can be used as utensil or craft pots as well. You can also use any tiles you want. The super glue is surprisingly strong and my Moroccan tiled planters have held up really well.

They are a great way to use up leftover tiles from your DIY projects. If you have a tiled backsplash in your kitchen you could make a matching pot with the same tiles.

Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Momo s

Why not glue the four sides into a square and use another tile for the bottom?

• Lisa

You can glue the planter into a rectangle or a square. Both would work. If you glue the planter into a rectangle, you will end up with 2 sides that show only the tile and 2 sides where the edges will show on either side of the tile. If you glue into a square, your planter will have all 4 sides with the tile and one edge showing. It's whatever you prefer.

• Deborah Bedey

What tile store actually sells samples?

• V

Where did you get those tiles?

• Jenny

Wow! I love that and being a huge succulent lover I’m always looking for planters that are a bit different. Definitely going to be doing this. Thanks for sharing 🤗