Donna_kastl2003
Donna_kastl2003
  • Tuttle, OK

How to lay out the configuration of a deck using cinder blocks?

FranklinrawleyNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CA

I would like to add this deck so I can put up a potable spa for my handicapped husband. It is impossible to get him into the bathroom and I do not know if the front porch which is cement will hold the weight of the spa, my husband and the wheel chair. It would be nice if genies were real and I had 3 wishes, if that happened the deck would appear.

• If your front porch is cement - it will hold anything. A deck constructed of wood is far more precarious unless constructed well. But first let's address other issues. There is lots of senior help out there for you, it is just sometimes like looking for a needle in a haystack. This is where I blame some physicians - they should actively make sure their elderly and disabled patients receive the help they are entitled to - it is part of the oath they took upon becoming a physician, especially a geriatric physician. Start with your local chapter of Habitat for Humanity. Contact your Department on Aging. Look up any senior services offered in you area. You are entitled to in home help for bathing (are among other things), you do not need to struggle alone. Here are some sites to help you out!

• Franklinrawley

do you have this spa now or are you going to buy one? I would talk to the folks where you are getting it and they can help advise you on what you need. You are thinking right with the weight. One gallon of water is 8 LBS and most of these, even the smaller ones, will hold several hundred gallons. That makes it a heavy son of a gun. You will need MAJOR supports under this, so instead of causing a catastrophe, you should talk to the experts about YOUR location and YOUR specifics for this projects. Best of luck...