Easy DIY Mosquito Repellent Citronella Luminaries

$35

Sick of mosquito bites? I was too! Learn how to make your own DIY mosquito repellent citronella luminaries using empty paint cans and essential oils... they look pretty, too!
These things are crazy easy to make. Here’s what you’ll need:

Citronella essential oil
Lemon essential oil
Peppermint essential oil
Spray paint in three colors
Painters tape
Three plastic grocery bags
Measuring tape
Hammer
Nail
Pencil

Begin by measuring out where the holes will be placed. The diameter of my cans was 13 inches, so I placed a hole every inch. Use a pencil to mark the placement of each hole. They should be about a half inch from the top rim.
Next, hammer the nail into the marked spots. I used a thick nail, so it did bend the sides of the can around each hole a bit, but I liked the idea of larger holes so more firelight could show through. You could opt for a smaller nail if this bothers you. I also feel that leaving the top on the can while you hammer will help it maintain its shape better.
Once you’ve made the holes all the way around, it’s time to prep the can for painting. Fold a plastic bag’s handles up inside of the bag and wrap it around the can. Tape around the bag, taking care to adhere it to the can in a straight line. The height of the tape is a matter of taste – I did different heights for each luminary. Spray the can with multiple thin coats of spray paint, letting it dry thoroughly in between each coat. Remove the tape and bag.
Head over to my blog to find out how much of each essential oil to add, and to see photos of the finished product! http://design-fixation.com/2018/07/easy-diy-mosquito-repellent-citronella-luminaries.html

Faith Provencher | Design Fixation