How to protect art on canvas for the garden display?

Dwp7470bNancy TurnerLinda Sikut

I have several pieces of artwork on canvas, nothing too precious, sentimental or costly, but nice vivid colors that I want to cover-protect with something (a glaze? clear varnish coat?) to be able to hang in shady spots in my garden sitting areas. What should I use - and how to apply so that I may leave it out in the weather? Just so it's good for awhile, don't expect it last forever - but better than sitting around, not enough indoor wall space! Don't mind if I have to take it to the porch in the winter......

• Linda Sikut

Hi Mar,
    I found a great solution and a tutorial for your canvas artwork. I think your idea is wonderful and I hope you post how you did it after you finish protecting your artwork. :) Click here to read the article - FYI, you have to scroll down a bit to find it. Wishing you the best.
  • Nancy Turner

You could try a clear marine polyurethane, but I would check it out in an inconspicuous spot to make sure it will be ok to use on the medium the artwork is done in.
  • Dwp7470b

I would place this item behind thick glass, or Hail proof plexiglass and weatherseal the frame. I suggest this because sealants oft contain a weak acid. Once your painting is ruined, there is no getting it back my dear.