DIY Window Box Garden

$2

Here’s a super easy, quick and cost-effective little tutorial for a gift for a loved one: a window flower box made out of a broken palette. A great project to do with your kids!

diy window box garden

You’ll need a broken palette (get one for free from your local hardware store), some left-over paint and a few plants. And a hammer!

diy window box garden

Step 1:

Remove one strip of the pallet, but keep the top and bottom plank as well as the support blocks in tact.

Remove two separate planks from the pallet completely - you'll use it later

diy window box garden

Step 2:

Next, remove the central support block only. If your palette was put together by a hammer-happy individual, this might be the most difficult thing you do all day.

I first tried to remove the 6 nails holding it in place, but ended up hammering through them by driving a flat screw driver between the plank and support block. The latter was much easier than my first approach.

diy window box garden

Step 3:

Affix one plank per side to completely cover the support blocks.

If there are old nails you cannot remove (prime example above) just hammer them into the wood.

Cover the base of the frame with the 5th and final plank, making sure that there are gaps for water drainage.

Step 4:

Paint the box. I used my favourite paint that weathers into a beautiful vintage finish.

Step 5:

Screw-fix the planter to the wall, see how I did it here.

Step 6:

Add plants! I kept my plants in pots so that I can easily replace them if necessary.

diy window box garden

30-minutes later you're done!

Now you have an adorable little planter peeping in through the window   .

Happy Home-making!

Homeology.co.za

• Robyn Garner

Where on earth do you all get pallets? My Homey Depot won't let me have any and I don't see them anywhere!

• Pip

Pallets used to be a throw away item, not any more. I'm not sure if they are recycled or just reused but no one is giving them away any more. At least not here in So Calif since everyone has become so environmentally conscience. We no longer allowed to burn pallets at the beach for a bonfire because of all the nails left behind.

• KattywhampusLOL

Thank you so much for posting this! The man across the alley from me has a garage full of pallets (which he is using to redo the inside of his home) and since we are on friendly terms I am sure he will let my use one of them for a few window gardens for my kitchen herbs

• Kimmi Guest

Yay! I want to do this on my porch railing! Thanks for the easy instructions!