DIY Window Box Garden

$2

Here’s a super easy, quick and cost-effective little tutorial for a gift for a loved one: a window flower box made out of a broken palette. A great project to do with your kids!

You’ll need a broken palette (get one for free from your local hardware store), some left-over paint and a few plants. And a hammer!

Step 1:

Remove one strip of the pallet, but keep the top and bottom plank as well as the support blocks in tact.

Remove two separate planks from the pallet completely - you'll use it later

Step 2:

Next, remove the central support block only. If your palette was put together by a hammer-happy individual, this might be the most difficult thing you do all day.

I first tried to remove the 6 nails holding it in place, but ended up hammering through them by driving a flat screw driver between the plank and support block. The latter was much easier than my first approach.

Step 3:

Affix one plank per side to completely cover the support blocks.

If there are old nails you cannot remove (prime example above) just hammer them into the wood.

Cover the base of the frame with the 5th and final plank, making sure that there are gaps for water drainage.

Step 4:

Paint the box. I used my favourite paint that weathers into a beautiful vintage finish.

Step 5:

Screw-fix the planter to the wall, see how I did it here.

Step 6:

Add plants! I kept my plants in pots so that I can easily replace them if necessary.

30-minutes later you're done!

Now you have an adorable little planter peeping in through the window   .

Happy Home-making!

22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
Homeology.co.za

• Robyn Garner
    Robyn Garner

Where on earth do you all get pallets? My Homey Depot won't let me have any and I don't see them anywhere!

• Robyn Garner
      Robyn Garner

All very good ideas but I think there must be different rules in various places. Any large or retail space seems to always return them. There are lighter weight wood ones around once in a while. I can play with 3 small ones from next door because they are renovating the house.