What is the best way of painting a red and black cupboard, white?

Fiddledd224Kdu4048549Lisa S.
+6

i have a small bookcase which was red. I tried Test stripping the red paint off the top to get to the natural wood, but realized that this is not all solid wood. The top is now black and I guess I’ll have to paint it white. How do I cover these colours up and what are the best materials to use?

• Annette Lutzen-Sachs

Going from a dark color to white will take time. I'm redoing my dark brown kitchen cabinets (circa 1971) to white. So far it's taken two coats of primer and two to three coats of white paint. I've used Zinsser 1-2-3 primer and Valspar Snowcap.Sanded with 150 grit, wiped with mineral spirits, and applied paint with sponge rollers. In between coats I've sanded with 220 grit and wiped with damp cloth. You may want to try a pretty contact paper or get creative with pretty napkins and Mod Podge.
  • Ann Cherkas Halstead

Use oil based mild as a primer

• Patty

LOTS OF KILZ.

• Liv

Rustoleum spray paint!!! I love it!
  • Ann Cherkas Halstead

Kilz. Sorry. Auto correct kills me.

• Lisa S.

Wipe down well. Lightly sand Kiltz primer - then paint of your choice.
  • Kdu4048549

Thank you for your suggestions. I’ll give them a go.

• Fiddledd224

Sand as much of the original color away as you can. Then use a good primer and at least 2 coats of finish paint.