How do I make a place for my dogs to potty, and then repair the lawn.

Tmg10479010Kemmerer.carolPat
+5

I put down new sod in the spring and it is ruined by yellow and now dead brown spots.

• Jcraw

I can only think you need to choose a location for building a dog run, using stonefor easy cleanup. Gravel can get caught in their paws.
    You can use picket fencing or black chain link, which is fairly attractive and unobtrusive to the eye.
    Surround it with plants or even climbing vines so it suits your yard.
  • Kathy Good

If you have girl dogs, just keep those dead looking spots wet and see if they come back.

I have a dog run and part of it was stones, which is a huge mistake! The (pardon me) poop goes between the rocks and attracts flies:( You can't dig the stones up later on as they sink into the ground. I have grass in the area and water it nearly every day. I taught my dogs to do their business in one area of the dog run, and they learned pretty quickly because when they went there I made a fool of myself, cheering and giving treats. They were all for that and did what I wanted them to do. If you want to shut out the area from the rest of the yard, you can run that plastic Christmas garland through the chain links about 1/2 way up so the dogs can see you and you can't see the grass and it looks pretty nifty, too:)

• Raymond Coyle

Thank you!! I don't have the option of a dedicated run - but I also hadn't considered the poop issue with stones..I can work on training with a dedicated area. Anyone else have that experience with poop in pea gravel? How about mulch?

• Charly

Anything you use that is varied in shape and size like gravel and mulch is going to let the waste fall in between. You might want to try using outdoor carpet, the kind that is green and looks like astro turf. Easy to pick up waste and then rinse off. Pick an area, dig out a section, add some sand and put down the turf. Secure it with landscape hooks. And then train your dogs to only go in that area.

• Pat

add 1 tsp of dry milk powder to you dog’s food and their urine won’t yellow the lawn. It works!
  • Kemmerer.carol

Sprinkle powdered lime on the spots and it will

neutralize the acid and the grass will come back.

• Tmg10479010

Our solution was to designate a “litter box” for the dogs. It has to be large enough for the dog(s) to do their N.E.W.S direction thing. :-) Dig down six inches. Sprinkle lye in dirt, we covered the area without adding depth to the lye. Don’t freak out yet. Cover lye with a good weed barrier. Then cover full depth with pea gravel. Here is why. The lye will control the smell. It’s what is used in outhouses. The pea gravel will allow urine to flow, poop to sit on. For those days that diarrhea or loose stools.....hose it down. The poop will be easily picked up-you may loose some gravel, but totally worth it. When we trained our adult dogs we sprayed that stuff for puppies to attract and then fenced the area. Once they had it down that this was the place to go-fence can be removed.