When applying new flooring can I lay it over the old floor?

Robyn GarnerMar33482700Ebbjdl
+1

We want to redo the kitchen. When applying new flooring can I lay it over the old floor? I think the old one is peel and stick stuff.

• Bonnie

It depends on what new flooring you are using...and if the old floor surface is sound and level.
  • Ebbjdl

Dear Danielle, I would rip up the old flooring, because once the new floor is down the under layer might crack, from being old or not level
  • Mar33482700

hear hear Ebbijdl! Always remove the old floor cover never assume that it's level there could be underlying cracks or air bubbles plus the dirt that's been embedded in it yuck. Start with a fresh floor take off whatever is on it and put down your new floor. If you have a concrete slab make sure to frame in or build a subfloor if using wood. Take a level and make sure your floor is level before you begin if it isn't make it level either by filling in the unlevel gaps or building a subfloor. This will save time in the long run especially if you want to change it again.
  • Robyn Garner

One caution before you start removing old tiles - depending on the age, they could contain asbestos. This is fine as long as you don't violate the integrity of the tiles by breaking them, etc. If the tiles are pre 1980, it's likely there could be asbestos.