Hardware choices for new oak doors.

Michelle Jones

Can door knobs be different than kitchen cabinet handles? I dont want nickel. Currently, gold color door knob handles and black cabinet handle. The doors will go from kitchen and continue to bedroom hallway. Thanks

1 answer
  • Michelle Jones

I am facing the same problem. After a major living/dining reno, there was very little left in the budget for our hideous kitchen. We have nickel knobs on kitchen cabinets, brass door handles and, for our new built-ins, oil rubbed bronze. I have just painted the kitchen, am currently working on the kitchen cabinets (chalk paint) and wanted to replace the kitchen cabinet knobs with the rubbed bronze ( a dark brown to black finish) and cup handles on 15 drawers. At $8.95 for the simplest, smallest knob -- and over 35 needed -- and $12.00 - $15.00 per cup handle, that is definitely not going to happen this year. So, I am planning on purchasing a sample jar of chalk paint in a mineral finish (something close to the oil-rubbed bronze) to just dip them. Chalk paint sticks to anything and we can always change them out when we do the major renovation in 2-3 years. If it works, I'd love to do the same to all the door handles.

• Sharon

Thanks! I bought oil rubbed bronze door knobs tonight! That’s what I liked from the start so the sale ended tonight and I got them😊. Kitchen cabinets have dark handles currently so that’s ok. I was so tired of gold/brassy knobs.