Starry N Steve Wallace
Starry N Steve Wallace
  • Douglasville, GA

Plant identifier help

Starry N Steve WallaceBetsyLandsharkinnc
+3

Does anyone know what these two plants are?

q plant identifier help
q plant identifier help
  • Laurie Pedley

Pinch off a leaf and crush it. I think it might be mint.
  • Landsharkinnc

nope, not mint -- in this part of the country it's a WEED ...spreads by seed... pull or weed eat before it blooms ... or in your case right now! before those blooms mature and set seeds for next year!
  • Starry N Steve Wallace

Thanks! Thought it might be A weed.

Hi Starry: The tall one looks like a weed to me:) The other ones look to be spearmint. You can tell a mint plant from the others by feeling the stem. Mints have a squarish stem and they are very invasive, but smell so nice:) Plant them in a container or, as I have done, made them behave themselves and grow in a squared off area and they are a wonderful smelling hedge! It's mostly lemon mint, but the spearmint and catnip scooted in, somehow. A weed is something that is growing where you don't want it growing. I love Queen Anns Lace and Milkweed, which are weeds to some, but the butterflies and I love them, so they stay:)

• Starry N Steve Wallace

Thanks this was for a friend who has a new garden. That really helped us make a decision on what to do with it. Thanks Betsy!