Can I really paint kitchen cabinets w/out sanding?

Twyla J BoyerEloise

I have 30 year old kitchen cabinets … some were painted and some were polyurethaned … is it possible to paint all the cabinets without sanding? I have read several posts about DIY'ers doing this, but I'm unsure if it really does work - especially for such a well used area in the house … I want the paint to stand up to normal wear and tear.

• Eloise

Yes, yes, yes! I've had extremely good luck with Rustoleums Cabinet Transformations. The kits include everything you need to refinish your cabinets including the cleaner. The best part is there is no sanding required and no "use in a well ventilated area" restriction. Cleanup with soap and water.

From the website: Rust-Oleum® Cabinet Transformations® is a revolutionary do-it-yourself coating system that will completely change the look of your cabinets in three simple steps.
    • Perfect for kitchen cabinets, bath vanities and furniture
    • Easy to use, no special skills required
    • No stripping, no sanding, no priming
    Optional Decorative Glaze lets you create your custom look
  • Twyla J Boyer

I suspect with the Rustoleum product it would work fine. I tried it with homemade chalk paint (based on having read stuff about that here) and find that it is not holding up well even after just a few months of use. I am going to end up having to either take all the paint off and redo them or to cut new doors.