Oak Hydrangea Leaf

Fantastic Oak Hydrangea Leaf made with vinyl concrete. Detailed directions HERE!
I have been making concrete leaves for many years. I have several throughout my yard used as bird baths, fountains/spitters and garden room décor. I will share those in a later blog. I also give them as gifts to family and friends.
This is going to be a step by step instructional.
Lately I have had several friends interested in making their own leaves. There are many instructions of different ways to make concrete leaves, but I have found over the fifteen years of making them that mine have stood the test of time. Including ice, snow, heat and grandchildren playing with them.
Start with a leaf. Big ones are nice but the smaller leaf of the oak hydrangea is my favorite.
Supplies:
VINYL Concrete Patcher (Quikrete)
Play Sand
Tub (large enough to hold the leaf)
Wheel Barrow or Tub to mix the Quikrete
Hoe
Plastic Wrap
Plastic Gloves
Mound the sand up to the shape you want the leaf to take on and long enough for the leaf in a tub. Cover the sand with plastic wrap.
Mix the Quikrete with water extremely well with the hoe. Be sure to add plenty of water. Notice the consistency of the cement. Put the front side of the leaf on the mound of sand. Start putting the cement onto the leaf in small amounts and pat consistently to the form of the leaf.
It is best not to have any folds in the leaf, but this was quite a large leaf and was almost unavoidable. Not to worry though, it will still look great!
Let DRY- do not be anxious to see your finished leaf. I like to leave them up to a week depending on the weather to dry. Lift the leaf off carefully and let cure for several weeks before painting or using them.
This is the leaf in the above demonstration a year later.

The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
Minnie's Milestones by Jonni

• Tara
    Tara

will spray paint work or do I need just concrete paint?

• Spray paint will work fine. The only thing it won't be as translucence. The color of patina that I used on the hydrangea leaf was a mixture of acrylic paint that was diluted with water. Sometimes I even have a spray bottle of water to use to dilute the paint, to get that patina look. Thanks for the question.

• Tara
    Tara

Will spray paint work or do need to get the concrete paint?

• Hi Tara, Yes spray paint will work fine, it will be more dense probably though. There are some beautiful new spray paints out now that I have used recently, one is by Krylon called sea glass, it looked beautiful on a jar! Hope this helps and thank you for the question.

• Melissa V
    Melissa V

My good friends/neighbors recently relocated to Florida, and in the process a large estate sale happened. One of my finds was a mirror using this technique. Average maple leaves cast, then painted/ stained a beautiful forest green. They are roughly arranged in an open circle, with the mirror in the center. The entire work is about 12"-14" round and just what I needed for a dead wall in my kitchen. Looks like fun, if you have patience that is!!

• Patience yes, I agree, sounds beautiful!