Small Talk Mama
Small Talk Mama
  • Kansas City, MO

A New Look for Window Boxes

I was a bit late getting my window boxes planted this year, with fear of late frosts and just plain old procrastination, but I hope they were worth the wait. I’m trying a couple of new plants this year alongside the reliable Vinca vine and trailing white Bacopa.
My splash of color is coming from the broad-leafed red Tuberous Begonias; but I have zero experience with these beautiful plants, so I’m hoping their large but compact blooms rise above the greenery and put on a show. I also included basic potato vines in my planters because I love how they explode with growth and blaze a trail of greenery all summer long. I’ve never used them for fear I would just be feeding the deer, but I’m hoping these cute four-legged fuzzy pests are too shy to get that close to the house. I figured they were worth a try.
So pictured here is one of my window boxes the day I planted them last week (yes, I told you I was behind). They look a little skimpy right now, but I’m hopeful of beautiful things to
a new look for window boxes, gardening, windows

Small Talk Mama

• Sue

Beautiful!! I just love the Bacopa!! I use them everywhere.

• Lori J

Sweet potato vines are nearly impossible to find in the midwest this year. Managed to find two purples, but no green at all. Still looking...one vigorous vine and a jar of water and I will be able to fill in those lonely spots. I love sweet potato vines!