How to Repurpose a Metal Magazine Basket

$10

I love a great thrift store haul!

It's a rare visit when I walk out empty handed. Nearly every single time I shop, I find something that can be upcycled or repurposed (my personal favorite).

By the way: Do you know the difference between upcycling and repurposing?

Let me show you how I repurposed a boring metal magazine basket into a fun and functional new item.

This is what I found - a plain, dusty, white magazine basket. Nothing special.

It had one feature though that earned it a second look - it's metal.

Metal always grabs my attention. While it may be something else for you, if a piece catches your eye, it's likely going to have potential for you. (Thrift store shopping Tip number 1)

The ivy leaves were a cute accent.

Dated, but cute.

I could fix that though. I decided to use them as the theme of my project and boom - I knew exactly what to do with it.

First I cooked a huge pot of spaghetti for dinner and washed out the empty tomato sauce cans.

After they dried well, I painted them with Rust-Oleum's Gray Hammered Metal Finish spray paint.

I also gave the magazine basket a paint job too - with my very favorite color - Oil Rubbed Bronze. I've lost count of the projects I've shot with this paint. I just can't get enough of it.

And...that plain and discarded magazine basket is now a handy and useful garden tool caddy!

No more lost tools or gloves and I even have a spot to hold sunscreen for those gardening sessions that run long.

Finding the good stuff isn't really that hard. I have some tips and tricks I use that never let me down. Click the link below and visit the blog to get more tips and your FREE downloadable Thrift Store Shopping Cheat Sheet.

Happy Thrift Shopping!

31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
To Work With My Hands

• Anita.bertucci

Looking at this do you have any suggestions for an old record holder metal rack?

• LaVerne

Magazine racks are great to storage your toilet paper. I paint mine white. Love it great decor in your bathroom.

• Barbara Behm-Mryglod

Love this idea - how could you update one of the metal “v” shaped magazine racks?

• Glenda

This is great idea. Am wondering though if you glued the tin cans to the rack? if not do they stay in the rack without falling out when you carry it from place to place when using it?

• K Holladay

Linda, don't be rude or condescending.

Something may be 'obvious' to you, but questions are a great way to learn.

The only dumb question is the one not asked.

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

• Christie Decker

Great idea, wishing I had a magazine rack I could use myself. I picture one as a great holder for picnic supplies...or craft items, hair curlers and dryer...I have ideas...now to get them moving...hmmm...

• To Work With My Hands

Yes, you have some fantastic ideas! Just keep your eyes open, with your project in mind, when you shop. It will be such fun when you find that perfect piece!

• Beth

Great idea!