How to Repurpose a Metal Magazine Basket

$10

I love a great thrift store haul!

It's a rare visit when I walk out empty handed. Nearly every single time I shop, I find something that can be upcycled or repurposed (my personal favorite).

By the way: Do you know the difference between upcycling and repurposing?

Let me show you how I repurposed a boring metal magazine basket into a fun and functional new item.

how to repurpose a metal magazine basket

This is what I found - a plain, dusty, white magazine basket. Nothing special.

It had one feature though that earned it a second look - it's metal.

Metal always grabs my attention. While it may be something else for you, if a piece catches your eye, it's likely going to have potential for you. (Thrift store shopping Tip number 1)

The ivy leaves were a cute accent.

Dated, but cute.

I could fix that though. I decided to use them as the theme of my project and boom - I knew exactly what to do with it.

First I cooked a huge pot of spaghetti for dinner and washed out the empty tomato sauce cans.

After they dried well, I painted them with Rust-Oleum's Gray Hammered Metal Finish spray paint.

I also gave the magazine basket a paint job too - with my very favorite color - Oil Rubbed Bronze. I've lost count of the projects I've shot with this paint. I just can't get enough of it.

And...that plain and discarded magazine basket is now a handy and useful garden tool caddy!

No more lost tools or gloves and I even have a spot to hold sunscreen for those gardening sessions that run long.

Finding the good stuff isn't really that hard. I have some tips and tricks I use that never let me down. Click the link below and visit the blog to get more tips and your FREE downloadable Thrift Store Shopping Cheat Sheet.

Happy Thrift Shopping!

Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of August 15, 2018 11:36 PM - More info
To Work With My Hands