• Hometalker
  • Newfane, NY
Asked on Jul 13, 2018

How do I know if my walls are decorated paneling or wallpaper?

Carol TuggeySharon ClarkWilliam


We just bought a manufactures house and I would like to change the look on the walls. I don't know if it's paneling or wallpaper and if I can paint over it or if it needs to be removed?

3 answers
  • William
    on Jul 13, 2018

    More likely decorated panels with strips covering the seams. My daughter had that. Little floral panels. What I did was remove the wood strips and filled with no shrink drywall patching compound. Let it dry overnight. Then use a damp sponge to smooth the compound. Primed with Kilz primer and painted.

  • Sharon Clark
    on Jul 13, 2018

    I used up dated stick-on wall paper from Walmart. It was a grey basket weave. Sticks well in my bathroom.

  • Carol Tuggey
    on Jul 14, 2018

    Wallpaper is usually 27" wide or 54", so look for the seams. You are more likely to be dealing with a panel than wallpaper, mostly because of the material and labor costs that would be much higher for wallpaper than for panel material.
Your comment...