Abbie M
Abbie M
  • Hometalk Team
  • Brooklyn, NY

How To Deep Clean a Mattress

$10
1 Day

When was the last time you cleaned your mattress?

My mattress was discolored from my dark sheets & a few spills so I decided it was time for a deep clean!
how to clean a mattress
Begin by stripping your bed of all comforters, pillows, &sheets & throw them in the washing machine.
how to clean a mattress
After that, vacuum the mattress, after I vacuumed I grabbed a scrub brush & went over the mattress one more time before proceeding to get into all of the grooves of the mattress - but this is an optional step.
how to clean a mattress

Next, grab a box of baking soda & sprinkle it onto the mattress. Use a scrub brush to set in the baking soda & cover the whole mattress. You may use 1-2 boxes depending on how big your mattress is. Let the baking soda sit for at least 10 minutes. This will deodorize as well as soak up any oils that collect in the mattress over time.
how to clean a mattress
After that, vacuum or use a scrub brush to remove the baking soda.
how to clean a mattress

Grab a spray bottle & fill it with water. Add 1 tbsp of CLEAR dish soap. You will want to use clear instead of colored dish soap to ensure that you won't stain the mattress further. Shake the spray bottle to mix the mixture.
how to clean a mattress
how to clean a mattress
Next, spray an even coat of the mixture on the mattress. Check for dry spots to make sure it's all covered. You're wanting to make sure the mattress is covered as evenly as possible for an even deep clean & to avoid discoloration.
how to clean a mattress
After that, fill a spray bottle with half water, half hydrogen peroxide. Then, spray an even coat of that on the mattress as well.
how to clean a mattress
how to clean a mattress
Following that, sprinkle some more baking soda on the mattress & rub it into the two mixtures lightly with a white towel.
how to clean a mattress
Again, make sure the towel you use is white so that no color will bleed onto the mattress.
how to clean a mattress
I then sprayed one more coat of the hydrogen peroxide mixture & one more sprinkle of baking soda to make sure it was all coated. But this is optional.

Let the mixture dry. This will take a few hours or overnight depending on how damp the mattress is.
how to clean a mattress
After drying, vacuum or scrub brush the mattress until there's no more residue.

Flip the mattress & repeat if necessary.

This mixture did the trick for my mattress - but if you have any tricky spots you can mix 1/4 cup hydrogen peroxide with 1 tbsp of dish soap & 1 tbsp of table salt. Spread on stain & let sit. Scrape off excess with WHITE rag dipped in hydrogen peroxide.

Finally, add your washed bedding back onto your bed! You can also add a mattress cover for extra protection.
how to clean a mattress
I was amazed at how well these 4 simple ingredients cleaned my mattress! It looks good as new!

I hope this inspires you to give your mattress the deep clean it deserves!

Check out the video for the completely how-to's!

• Diane Vera

Can you do this on a foam mattress?

• Lydia

My husband sweats just on a small area on his side.......can I use a little baking soda and then steam clean the baking soda area with my steam cleaner? Thank You

• Mary

does this work on all types of mattresses?