Abbie M
Abbie M
  • Hometalk Team
  • Brooklyn, NY

How To Deep Clean a Mattress

$10
1 Day

When was the last time you cleaned your mattress?

My mattress was discolored from my dark sheets & a few spills so I decided it was time for a deep clean!
how to clean a mattress
Begin by stripping your bed of all comforters, pillows, &sheets & throw them in the washing machine.
how to clean a mattress
After that, vacuum the mattress, after I vacuumed I grabbed a scrub brush & went over the mattress one more time before proceeding to get into all of the grooves of the mattress - but this is an optional step.
how to clean a mattress

Next, grab a box of baking soda & sprinkle it onto the mattress. Use a scrub brush to set in the baking soda & cover the whole mattress. You may use 1-2 boxes depending on how big your mattress is. Let the baking soda sit for at least 10 minutes. This will deodorize as well as soak up any oils that collect in the mattress over time.
how to clean a mattress
After that, vacuum or use a scrub brush to remove the baking soda.
how to clean a mattress

Grab a spray bottle & fill it with water. Add 1 tbsp of CLEAR dish soap. You will want to use clear instead of colored dish soap to ensure that you won't stain the mattress further. Shake the spray bottle to mix the mixture.
how to clean a mattress
how to clean a mattress
Next, spray an even coat of the mixture on the mattress. Check for dry spots to make sure it's all covered. You're wanting to make sure the mattress is covered as evenly as possible for an even deep clean & to avoid discoloration.
how to clean a mattress
After that, fill a spray bottle with half water, half hydrogen peroxide. Then, spray an even coat of that on the mattress as well.
how to clean a mattress
how to clean a mattress
Following that, sprinkle some more baking soda on the mattress & rub it into the two mixtures lightly with a white towel.
how to clean a mattress
Again, make sure the towel you use is white so that no color will bleed onto the mattress.
how to clean a mattress
I then sprayed one more coat of the hydrogen peroxide mixture & one more sprinkle of baking soda to make sure it was all coated. But this is optional.

Let the mixture dry. This will take a few hours or overnight depending on how damp the mattress is.
how to clean a mattress
After drying, vacuum or scrub brush the mattress until there's no more residue.

Flip the mattress & repeat if necessary.

This mixture did the trick for my mattress - but if you have any tricky spots you can mix 1/4 cup hydrogen peroxide with 1 tbsp of dish soap & 1 tbsp of table salt. Spread on stain & let sit. Scrape off excess with WHITE rag dipped in hydrogen peroxide.

Finally, add your washed bedding back onto your bed! You can also add a mattress cover for extra protection.
how to clean a mattress
I was amazed at how well these 4 simple ingredients cleaned my mattress! It looks good as new!

I hope this inspires you to give your mattress the deep clean it deserves!

Check out the video for the completely how-to's!

• Teresa

Have you ever thought about buying a moisture proof mattress cover?

• M T Dietz

Those are very uncomfortable because everything slides around on them and also they don't breathe.

• Teresa

Of course they breathe, and they don’t move either. Wow.

• Virginia Pazour

So is it a breathable mattress cover? What happens if you sweat a lot at night? Does the breathable mattress cover protect the matress? I am trying to understand. So bear with me.

How often does one change a matress cover?

• Tomieka Monique

Hi Virginia,

A breathable cover allows air to pass through but not moisture. If you sweat a lot, the mattress cover and your sheets will absorb the sweat. I'm not a professional so what I offer is from my personal experience. I washed my last mattress cover about once every 2 months or so and I just replaced it after almost 4 years. A tip I got from an article I read somewhere (you know how that goes) is to NOT make up your bed as soon as you get out of it. Leave the covers back while you get yourself dressed, etc. This will allow some of the moisture to evaporate and not get trapped under the covers. A good cover and rotating your mattress will extend its life tremendously. Good luck to you!

• Karenkat

I recently purchased a waterproof one that looks and feels the same as a regular one. I think they have improved them in the last few years!

• Sandy

What type of scrub brush are you using? The few I have are very how do I say it wirey, but made of some sort of plastic, so doesn't it tear up the top of the mattress and make it kinda of nappy?

• Janice Enix

They do if they are made of plastic. You still need to make sure they are good quality. My mama is 87 yrs old, has Alzheimer's & is incontinent. So I purchased an expensive water proof (not plastic) bedbug proof mattress protector. Her mattress got soaked.

• Cathy Gabriele

I was just wondering why on this nice site Teresa became so nasty? The suggestion on this site is not that law; it’s just a suggestion to help other people who may not know about things to help you with household projects and fixes. You know Teresa people just learn new things every day no matter how old they are or how young they are

• Teresa

The woman just spent hours s getting her matr as clean. I was not trying to be nasty, but helpful so she would leave not have to do this every month

• Jo Falasca

Lol

• Patricia Arnold

well i was thinking the same thing. its good to know how to clean it.

I'm finding the fabric waterproof covers plus a quilted cover protects my mattress very well. i waited for a heat wave to clean my daughters mattres that cheap plastic cover used to be all they had. it would rip so easily.

• Linda Werschky

Janice, you can purchase waterproof pads to put under your mother between her and the sheets. Im sure you can get them on Amazon. They are called Waterproof Pads, come in different sizes; 35” X 35” or some bigger and smaller.

I hope this helps.

I wish I knew how to clean a mattress before I threw the last one out. It was just dirty, I was the only owner and always cover them with mattress pads

• Kla33417420

Would this also work on removing stains on laundry?

• Sandy

For stains on laundry, make a paste of baking soda and water to a spreadable consistency. Apply to stain and let sit for 30-60 minutes, brush of paste and wash in warm water. Do not use this on non color fast items.

• Janet

Lots of stains for laundry can be removed with Dawn dish detergent and a tooth brush or edge of a spoon.... gently scrub the Dawn into the fabric.

• Starryia Rigby

Yes I am inspired! When I started hearing about DIY mattress cleaning it sounds crazy to me but you have made it a simple process. My question is can I use liquid detergent with bleach for more sanitation?

• Sandy

There is no point because bleach cancels out detergent :)

• Debbie

Hydrogen peroxide should be good sanitation.

• Aida

Will this work on an upholstered white reclining chair?

• Sue

What did you add to the baking soda yo clean the tray

• Diane Vera

Can you do this on a foam mattress?

• Janet

I would not use anything wet on a foam mattress.

• Lydia

My husband sweats just on a small area on his side.......can I use a little baking soda and then steam clean the baking soda area with my steam cleaner? Thank You

• Mary

does this work on all types of mattresses?

• P74

Sounds like a plan 👍 but where do you sleep while it's drying ? Just kidding.... I've slept on the couch many times...😁

• Sunny

Would this work on carpet? I have 1 spot where my dog eats her marrow bones, which just will not clean and smell fresh with my steam cleaner. Thanks

• Cathy sunshine

Great idea I will definitely do this because I’ve been wondering how to clean and brighten up my mattress. I have dark color sheets also.

• Goldbeargirl

I use a mattress protector/pad and just wash it when I change my sheets. Easier for me - I'm old lol

• Lori

WOW !