Carla
Carla
  • Franklin, NC

What is the best way to get rid of pop corn ceilings .

JoeStatenIslandWilliamRon
+4

Don’t want the mess it makes scraping it off I have 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms that still need to be done. Had the rest of the house scraped and what a mess think I’m still vacuuming it out of the carpets. Help

• Linda Sikut

Hi Carla,

If you don't want to strip it, you can cover it with ceiling tiles. There are some very light weight ones available. Try Lowes or perhaps Amazon to see what is out there. I hope this helps. Wishing you the best.

• JoeStatenIsland

Purchase light 1/4” 4’x8’ sheetrock and simply re-sheetrock right over it. That is the easy solution. Be sure to put a good coat of mold resistant primer on the popcorn ceiling and on the sheetrock to prevent anything from growing between the sheetrock and popcorn ceiling. ...Joe S.I., NY

• Carla

Don’t you have to tape that don’t know much about that I do know it has to be done right or it will look a mess.
  • Ron

I did this in a previous home. Place a drop cloth or plastic sheeting on the floor. Using a good quality scraper attach the hose of a wet/dry vac with duct tape to the handle of the scraper. Using a bottle sprayer filled with warm water saturate the popcorn to make it easier to scrape off. But you have to be careful to not overly saturate the popcorn or you can cause damage to the drywall. This (water method) only works if the popcorn was applied AFTER a primer was used on the drywall. If not then don’t use water and just grin and bear it scraping the popcorn off. The wet/dry will collect the majority but you’ll have the drop cloth for the material that doesnt get collected.

You can cover it with wood planks, beadboard, ceiling tiles, etc.

• JoeStatenIsland

Yes, taping and joint compounding is required.