Advice on redoing our master bedroom?

Debbie SommerLaura Cooper

We moved into our home 19 years ago and still have not done anything to our bedroom. Now I would love to redo our room to make it more relaxing., we have our original bedroom set too and can’t afford to replace it. So I’m wondering if there is a way to refinish it just to give it a new fresh look. We are on a very tight budget, so any help would be appreciated.

• Laura Cooper

We did this many years ago, also on a shoestring budget. We got paint from the household chemical recycle center for free. And painted the walls, then I found an old screen door at a garage sale. We hung it horizontal on the wall and decorated it with dollar store accents. Then I found a clearance bed-in-a-bag set. Looked like a new room!

• Debbie Sommer

The easiest way to update your master is to paint the walls a lovely, serene color and hang new curtains that match the bedspread.