I want to start composting how do I get started?

Holly Bertone | Pink FortitudeLittle Homestead In BoiseMogie
+5

• Oliva

Unless you are physically capable of turning the compost pile by hand, purchase a Tumbler Composter. If doing by hand, you can build an area to contain the compost. Add raw vegetables, fruits, coffee grounds, coffee filters, twigs, paper towels, etc., in alternating layers. Keep it damp, and turn it every few days. Never add meats or fats to compost piles. Best to keep them away from your home to avoid attracting rodents. Plenty of help at Farmers' Almanac website.

• Polly Fuller

several ways. the old fashioned way, just dump it in a pile and turn it over in the spring.

japanese way, make circular, one foot wide, open on each end, wire tubes.make a few flanges on the bottom. secure with stakes.place them here and there in the garden, put in your veggie cuttings, grass etc. move them to a new location every couple of years.

use a barrel fill it up, dump it out after a year or so.

• Don32906835

Use pallets...crew them together to make bin......old dirt...veggies.....lime....water .....turn ever when u are bored

• Little Homestead In Boise

Be aware of old pallets can sometimes be treated with chemicals and if you're going to use your compost for growing food better to avoid those although I know they're free

• Little Homestead In Boise

I'm a Master Gardener and your local extension office will have lots of good ideas and possible free plans to build your own period or local waste company had very inexpensive compost bins available for purchase so you may check with yours.

• Hi Pat - This is the best beginner's guide to composting. I love composting but it takes a lot of patience. Good luck! Hugs, Holly