Balcony Bar Top

$250
Advanced

While we were living in our apartment, we decided to add a bar top to our balcony railing. This way we could save space and have somewhere to sit when we wanted to BBQ and eat outside! It came out better than expected ! Here's how I made it-

First I started with wood I found on the side of our house- free materials! I then screwed the pieces together to form a counter with a lip.

Next, I sanded the whole thing down.

Then I stained it. I went with a light color to keep a more natural look. You can choose whatever fits your style.

Finally I added the clear coat top coat. I went with an outdoor polyurethane because I wanted it to last since it was going to be outside. Now it looks great and is weather proof!

I then handmade the brackets to hook the bar onto the railing. It can also easily be removed if need be.

And that was it! Perfect fit! We set up some bar stools and our space is ready for outdoor fun.

To see more: https://www.etsy.com/BalconyBarTops/listing/476082343/balcony-bar-tops?utm_campaign=Share&utm_medium=social_organic&utm_source=MSMT&utm_term=so.smt&share_time=1527624353000

• Jeanette S

How did you make the brackets? Pieces screwed together or welding involved?

• Jeanette S

Now that is just too smart!!! love this. I need something like this for plants, but hanging on the outside. I love plants around my deck.

BTW, you stated that you made the brackets but did not go into how...any welding involved? I put this in the question section too!

• Cyn

Want to know where to get brackets

• Yvonne Crow

I’m sanding down a wood table ad want to stain it black but the stun I used is not black enough. It’s ebony 2718 and it look nothing like the example on the can. I am now resending the table top any suggestions?

• Edzon Plascencia

All I can suggest is to let the stain sit a little longer. The longer you let the stain sit, the more the wood absorbes the color. Just be careful not to let it sit for too long or the stain will dry and you will not be able to wipe it off. There’s no exact time I could suggest to let the stain sit as temperature changes these dry times.

• Jo An Clement Hays

looks great.

Where did you use the flat bar?

Was it to make the hangers and support on the back?

• Karen Glover

I want to do this project, but I'm confused about the brackets, could you explain.

• Melissa Oregan

Hey! I have a question about how you made your brackets. did you weld them together or... can you give more detail? Or can I pay you to do another one for me? :D

• Lana

Explain how you do the hook type to support your diy project

• Denise D.

Nice project. I will do this one. Couldn't you just buy brackets at Home Depot or Lowe's and screw them on?

• Gail

Great idea. good job. If you are in a high rise, where do you store your tools??

• Deborah Crysel Hancock

It's hard to see the brackets. What supports the table part underneath?

• Lucy Marie Bernier

Nice work ! Is there any thoughts for someone. Who can’t make there own brackets ?

• Lisa Lanney

Just curious, what are the dementions please.

• Wanda Cox Roberts

Very nice!

• Sandra

You did a great job! I love!

Unfortunately i no longer have a balcony cuz of renovations and yhey decided to remove them, 😢