Colleen
Colleen
  • Bethpage, NY

How can I clean my Dogs OLd Stiuffed and Fake Fur toys

ColleenBakesandBarksPeggy Burnette
+8

How can I clean my Dogs OLd Stiuffed and Fake Fur toys that she has already chewed the tags off so I can not tell how I should clean and care for these stuffed toys She had a few stuffed Ducks a fur stuffed rabbit, squirrel, chipmunk etc.

• Pat16265006

I did this one time and there are pet cleaning cloths at the store to wipe down so dog doesn't get sick.
  • Toss all of them in the washing machine. If you do not have a full load of toys, add in their bedding and blankets. I use a warm setting. Use less detergent than normal. Add at least 2 heaping tablespoons of baking powder and a cup of vinegar. Also use vinegar in the rinse cup, no softener! Softener is nothing but chemicals, these toys go in your pets mouth, they lick them. No ingesting of crappy chemicals. Vinegar is nature's disinfectant. Air dry. Give to dogs!

I have never met a dog toy that was "dry clean only." And if there are any, my dogs would not be getting them. Dry cleaning solvents are toxic and deadly to animals.

My toys get washed all the time. If one gets dirty, I pull it out of rotation until the next load of dog laundry.
  • Nancy Turner

You could try just spraying them to get the surface dirt off, then soak them in water to get the deeper dirt out from inside. Rinse them a bunch of times, wring or blot out as much water as you can and put them in the sun to dry them. You could gently brush the really plush ones to fluff them back up.

• Pat

If you need to, you can put the toys in a pillowcase, tie it shut and wash it with the blankets, towels and etc. that belong to your dog...

Hi Colleen: Just heave them in the wash, using an extra rinse to get the soap out. You can get a mesh bag from the dollar store to put them in to keep them from getting beaten up by the other things in there and, keep the stuffing from getting all over everything else. Nothing worse than dog slobber on stuff:)
  • Peggy Burnette

Hello my name is Peggy, we throw dog toys and dog bedding in the washer and dry on low. Works great, good luck

• BakesandBarks

I also just throw mine in the washing machine. Make sure that there aren't any holes in the stuffed toys because if you put them in the wash all the stuffing gets pulled out. Learned that one the hard way.
  • Colleen

Thank you all I have bought a mess laundry bag and put the toys in that then washed and dried them. Everything came out great nice and clean again almost like new again. Thank you all.