DIY Pool Noodle Cactus

$47
1 Week

Last Friday was the first day of this Cactus DIY journey. Where do I even begin🙈. This cute cactus definitely took me for a spin. Jumping into this DIY I knew it would be a hard one since I’ve never seen anything like this done before but, I sure wasn’t prepared for all the twists and turns. I think since I was going in blind and pretty much making things up as I went it was way more overwhelming than I intended. Honestly at one point I through in the towel (for about an hour) LOL😂 than my sweet hubby insisted I finish it. Thanks to him this cute cactus was finally completed today.

I’ve seen these pretty giant cacti’s all over pinterest and have always wanted one. When I decided to look into buying one I realized the one I wanted was $299. 😐 LIKE WHAT!! REALLY for a fake cactus. I would think it would cost that much for a real one.

I’m a bit scared to buy a real one. Unfortunately I don’t really have a green thumb. Plus I can’t afford a big one and I’m not willing to buy a small one and grow it because, no plant ever really grows well in my house. Yes this fake one might be a dust catcher but, I’m not to worried about that because I’ll be dusting it regularly 😉 I’m sure that won’t kill it.

I used some pool noodles with a big terra cotta pot. You'll also need a dowel.

Following that I secured them into the terra cotta pot with some sealer foam.

I used a knife to cute out the shape.

and plastered it plus painted it.

For the paint colors and full list of supplies visit the blog link below.

https://www.lilyardor.com/cute-cactus-diy-plant/

Follow me on facebook @lilyardor for more DIYS or sign up for my weekly newsletter here-- NEWSLETTER

Lily Oleynik

• Jacquelyn Jean Casper

What did you use for the cactus spines and how did you attach them?

• Nia Donovan

She cut off the bristles of 3 chip brushes & attached pinches of bristles using Mod Podge.

• Don15077879

How did you make the spines

• Dahliaqueen

Yes please love it but how did you make the spines??

• Carol

Hey guys, she doesn't say it, but you have to go to her blog to see how she adds her prickles or spines to the cactus! It was as I thought, she used Modpodge and cut up about 3 paint brushes to make her spines with! If you go to her blog (highlighted after the last picture) she will show you how to do it step by step!

• Rosemary Pope-Wallin

Same question here!

• Linda

If you click on the link to her blog, she describes in better detail how she made these. For the spines, she used paint brush bristles.

• Jodi Huber Swick

why didn’t you use a live cactus? They are low maintenance and you can watch them grow?

• Dahliaqueen

Price for one thing! Could not get a cactus that big for the price of two noodles & a flower pot!!

• Dorothy Sittler

I was thinking that the fakes were clever for the person with a brown thumb or using home as a closet when on the go all the time!

• Judi

safer than the real cacti....

• Lily Oleynik

Hi Jodi, I talked about why I didn't choose it more on my blog. Unfortuenly I don't have green thumb and im not willing to invest a lot of money just to watch the cacti die. I know most poeple say they're low maintince but I don't have luck with plants It might be cause I don't get enough light. With all that said a I don't think mine would get that big and buying one this size I'd be scared to kill plus can't afford it.

• Carole Thomas

This is also low maintenance, won't die, and... allows her creative juices to flow. Some times it's about the art and the craft, not the "reality"

• Dahliaqueen

Would it be weather proof for my deck??

• Lily Oleynik

UMMM I'm not sure. You would probably would have to seal the paint with something for that because it would def fade from the sun.

• Tammy

If you used weatherproof paints I bet it would

• Karla Moore

Why did this project cost 47$?

• Rita Robbie

Paint isn't cheap, plus the foam sealer etc.

• Bklyn Cowgirl

Check out the complete list of supplies. That stuff ain't cheap. ;-)

• Theresa Shumaker Monroe

You could put a layer of sealer in the pot then crumpled newspaper plus another layer of sealer to secure the cacti. ☺️

That would cut the quantity of sealer.

• Genie Medlin

Looks fabulous but how did you create the thorns, what did you use to make them look so realistic? I didn’t see anything on the list for that.

• Sheilah Robinett Kearney

Yes that is the question I have also!

• Jenia

Me Too!!

• Sca4301882

I was thinking the same thing. Please tell us how you did it.

• ChelseaIrene

I was thinking this too... I'd love to do this project!

• Pattie Reynolds

Me too. I as thinking one could cut of the bristles of a cheap paint brush from dollar tree

• Pamela Kirksey

I couldn’t follow the demonstration at all. I would have no idea how to do this. The end result definitely looks like real cacti 🌵 and I wish I could understand from start to finish, but I just don’t get it. I think more steps and explanations are necessary. 😘

• Tracey McCune

Cut a paintbrush then take modge podge to stick them on

• Kary Conklin Berg

You could also use toothpicks!

• Becky

Or glue on pinches of dried decorative moss.

• Carol

Follow the link to her blog post. Much clearer directions with instructions for the prickles.

• UpState

I guess you could stick some finely split splinters of kiln (or oven) dried wood onto these objects ?

• Linny

This DIYer explains the whole project, step-by-step in her blog, which she references above: https://www.lilyardor.com/cute-cactus-diy-plant/

• Carolyn from NH

This is really, really cute and well done 👏🏻👏🏻

• Lori Ward-Laatsch

I kept scrolling back to see if I missed something. Have no idea how this actually came together.

• Pamela

Click on the link there is lot more info

• Donna

I wonder if the concave parts could have been achieved with some kind of heating iron that would melt the plastic foam quickly and easily into the shape needed to

look real. I read that you used a knife to cut the foam, but looking at it, I am having difficulty understanding how you did that. Must have taken an awfully long time and I can't imagine how you got your grooves so straight with a knife considering how hard those noodles are to cut with a knife. How did you attach the small pieces to the tall ones and what did you use for the thorns and how did you attach the thorns to the cactus? If I were to make this, I think I would add the cactus flowers too, which would make it even more colorful. Good job. Sure looks real.

• HFredda

Donna:

I have the same questions.

• Genevieve

I also wondered how the cactus thorns were made as the instructions and list of supplies did not say but then I thought that pine needles would work fairly well and as they dried they would be almost just like a real cactus spikes. About 50 years ago I made a cactus sculpture carving it out of a block of plaster. This is so much easier and I will give it a try with the noodle. Good idea!

• Nita

You could probably use toothpicks too

• Sherry Phillips

Looks real from here. Did you create the lil pricklies with the plaster?

Very neat idea...

• Betty

The cactus looks great, but I really love your nightstand. Did you make that as well?

• Krafty KAT

Could one use a star ⭐️ shaped noodle. It would not have as many grooves but maybe easier for some?

• Jewellmartin

I don’t see why not. The grooves would be much easier, as well as the etched and rough edges. I’m very inspired and motivated by this project! Jewell

• Becky

How did you make the little pickles on the cactus?

• Ell

I'm wondering the same thing. That extra touch is what brings the project to life. Very clever!

• Gloria McKague

I am also wondering about the prickles that show in the picture

• Lwilliams

Click on the blog. It explains it all and how she made the arms.

• Susie

She cut up paint brushes and glued them on after painting.

• Rebecca

Thank you for asking and answering guys

• Crissy

Really good!

• Melissa Blair Hagman

This is so awesome! It’s great to see an original idea, especially one that came out so great. As someone who is an amazing vegetable gardener yet kills houseplants almost immediately... I may have to try this!!