Door Transformation

$200

I (my wife) decided to re decorate our door and give it some more Provence touch.

We added 3 squares made of molding and painted it with a matte finish dark blue color. The result really transforms the entire entryway.

Before... Regular metal door

This is the door before we did anything to it. Not a lot to look at, right?

Measurement and cutting of molding

We started by measuring the moldings and cutting them to the right sizes. This part wasn't tough, but it had to be exact, otherwise the squares would look wonky and the finish wouldn't be high-end at all.

I placed the squares on the floor as a preview, just to make sure that everything would translate well to the door.

I put some silicon caulk on the back of the molding and stuck it up on the door.

I placed them on the door and then added caulk to the edges, smoothing it with my fingers as I went.

Next, I painted the door and trim with 2 coats of primer (waiting an hour between each layer).

Last, I painted it 3 times with the matte finish dark blue color

(again waiting an hour between each layer).

The "After"

Isn't that really different! Cool what a little trim and a little paint can do. If you want to see it in action, I've created a short video that I'll add later... :)

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)
The "After"

• San24215580

I have been wanting to do this, I thought of old picture frames and that way I wouldn't have to cut and measure, what do you think?

• Jeanie

I thought of this too, but if you've got a lot of doors, it's going to take a lot of frames. We did one door with these moldings, but we njust did 2 panels.

• Neena Christianson Martin

Did you do both sides of the door?

• Eileen Hunter-Osborne

With it being an entrance/exit door there would be different steps I’m sure, but doable. If it’s on an inside door yes you could do the other side with the same exact steps.

• Lu Lu Jaquez

Can I use paint with primer

• Mary Jo Murphy

Amazing transformation ! Well done!

• Joanie

I love what you did......I love the dark blue with the silver handle......it look s wonderful!!