Nan24814052
Nan24814052
  • United States

Advice for reinforcing an old 1924 front porch floor?

ArchiePvm29228824Naomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CA

My 1924 enclosed front porch seems to be sagging where I first step outside onto it before I turn to exit by the front porch door.

Seeing as the rest of the 7'x12' porch floor seems to be fine, I was thinking of just laying 3/4 plywood where the floor seems to dip, an area about 5' into the porch and the 7' across. I know that will leave a 3/4" edge that someone might trip on but I could use moulding or something else to graduate the step.

• While that sounds like a viable temporary fix, there is way more going on underneath and could become quite dangerous. My best guess is that the floor joists have rotted out and one day you will exit your house and fall through the floor. I would suggest to find out what is going on underneath before trying a band aid fix on top.

• Pvm29228824

Lawn seed
  • Archie

I agree with Naomie. You need to get under the porch to see what is going on. The actual repair is probably no big deal but it needs to be done right.