How to unplug a sink drain

OlivaVimarhonorBetsy

Hi Doreen: If you've tried chemicals, rinse very well before continuing so that you don't get any of the chemicals blowing back into your face. Under the sink there is a U shaped tube. One end unscrews, the other end just slips off. Put a pan under the tube to catch any water in the tube, and unscrew this U at one end. It might be PVC, or steel. Hopefully, it's PVC:) If not, be sure to find and keep the washer, which may have to be replaced. Take it with you to the hardware store to be sure you get exactly the same kind of washer. I had to argue with a guy who sold me the wrong one, called a Top Hat Washer, and I didn't need that type. I showed him mine and he relented and had to go find one like mine. So, always take your parts with you to the store. Anyway, that's where the plugging may be occurring. When you unscrew the tube, there may be a washer in one part. Be sure not to lose that. Clean out the tube, check inside of the other ends of the drain with your finger or something to be sure nothing else is stuck in there. If there is, try to pull it out instead of pushing it further in. Replace the tube and you should be good. Run the water to be sure everything is put back and doesn't leak. What I do is to dry the connection very well and wrap it with toilet paper. In the morning, check to see if the tp is still dry. If there is a leak, the tp will be all wrinkled, even if it got wet and dried. When you run your disposer, after you turn it off, continue to run the water to be sure whatever you put down the disposer has enough water to flush out of the drain pipes and into the system instead of building up and creating a mess of a clog. Hopefully, this isn't what you have. I put a cup of Clorox down each of my drains once a month. This helps things flow freely:)
  • Vimarhonor

Hello Doreen, Even though we have an auger, most commonly we find that our bathroom sink drains need to be physically fished out. Either using an unbent hanger as a refashioned hook or plastic barbed tool from the dollar store to explore the drain obstruction.

Fishing out the blockage with that in -our experience— to partially involve hair seems to most readily alleviate stoppage in our faucets and shower drains.

• Oliva

Once your sink is unclogged, pour 1 cup baking soda and 1 cup white distilled vinegar down the drains, weekly. After 45 minutes pour a pan of boiling water down the drain to keep it open. Liquid hand soaps, hair, soft milled soaps, and kitchen grease contribute to drain blockages.