Rose Smith
Rose Smith
  • United States

How to mix home made weed killer

BetsyNina Scrabeck

I have found several recipes for home made weed killer with vinegar, Epsom salt and some Dawn dish-washing liquid. My problem is I cannot seem to get the mixture to work in my sprayer since the Epsom salt seems to clog up the nozzle. I have tried the mixture in garden sprayers as well as a bottle sprayer. Any suggestions for a different recipe or how to get it to work in my sprayer!

Hi Rose: Here are 2 different recipes, one has salt, but it's table salt so should work easier in your sprayer: KILL WEEDS WITH DAWN AND VINEGAR
    If you have weeds in areas you want to replant, do this: Fill an ordinary garden sprayer with white vinegar and add about one teaspoon liquid dish washing soap like blue Dawn. Apply sprayer top and follow the instructions on the sprayer to get it ready to spray. That's it.

Or, if you want the one with salt, here it is:) Mix 1 gallon of white vinegar with 1 cup of table salt and 1 tablespoon of liquid dish detergent. Put the mixture into a plastic spray bottle and spray directly on targeted weeds. The oil in soap naturally breaks down the surface of waxy or hairy weed leaves.

Good luck and hope this helps:)
    • Rose Smith

Thanks Betsy, perhaps the table salt will dissolve better than the Epsom salt which I think is the problem.

• Nina Scrabeck

are you mixing in small batches? Try a little less Epsom
    salt and in a bucket,so the mixture has room to stir WELL.

Could be, I hope this works for you.