Lori Rosenau
Lori Rosenau
  • Modesto, CA

My kitchen window is huge and I can’t afford to buy special curtains

Lori RosenauFiddledd224OceeB
+7

I like the curtains I have but they are to long.

• Joy Elizabeth

If the curtains are too long, could you cut and hem them to the right length? If you don't want to sew, you could iron the hem and use a fabric hemming glue.

For floor length curtains, you can also put a rubber band and fold under so they have that puddle look of longer curtains wihout cutting. That might work for a large window like in the breakfast room.

Hi Lori: Do you absolutely have to have curtains? I have just a valance and swags on my window. If you need more privacy, you can put one of those cafe curtains up. Check the Jcpenney.com site and look at their curtains, they have loads for the kitchen. Or, you can make your own, curtains are really easy to make, and there are tons of fabrics out there for you to use. I don't know how wide your window is, but don't get a cheap rod, it will bend:( Or, you can just cut the ones you have down to the size you want them to be. Good luck.
  • Penny

you could shorten them..if you don't want to sew (which i will do anything to avoid) you could use the iron on hemming tape. or, i just recently bought drop clothes to use for curtains and i hate to sew so much that i didn't even hem them after i cut one in half and the cut edge i put rings on with the little clips to hang on the rod. so, the other end already had a hem! problem solved!

• Mogie

Either shorten the curtains or raise the curtain rod.

• Jewellmartin

Lori, while the curtains are hanging, cut the curtains off two inches below where you want them. Turn the hem under one inch, then the whole hem under another inch. From there, you can pin, safety pin, sew, use sealing tape, staple, or otherwise secure the hem. Problem solved, Lori. ☺️
  • OceeB

Hi Lori,

You could shorten the curtains and if you are not accustomed to sewing. Try a hemming tape that is adhesive and iron on. Just take care to protect curtain material- read directions and use maybe a towel between curtain and iron when applying the hemming tape

and there are lots of self adhesive tape options on Amazon or go to Walmart or Joann’s. Look at reviews so just get one rated well. Also the tape width will depend on amount of hem you want at bottom and how sheer your curtain is.

IKEA even sells one that is super inexpensive

You got this!

• Fiddledd224

If you can't hem them, can you hang the rod higher? Or, can you buy tie-back anchors and tie them off to the side?
    • Lori Rosenau

I’m afraid to cut them I’m not good at sewing anymore with my arthritis so bad. I like the idea of using hooks and pinning them back. Thank you.

• Fiddledd224

Lori, can you shorten them with fusible webbing or even double-faced tape so you don't have to sew them? If I lived closer I would hem them for you...if you get stuck keep me in mind....we can figure this out!
  • Lori Rosenau

Thank you. I see what I can do.