How to rid a garden with slugs

+2
  • Marion Windsor Marion Windsor on Jul 14, 2018
    Those little lizards will clear the yard of snails and all the bugs and the slugs
  • William William on Jul 14, 2018

Sink a few bowls or plates in the ground level with the surface. Fill the bowls/plates with (cheap) beer. The yeast attracts the slugs. They drink their fill and drown. Not their sorrows

Anything you can make it uncomfortable for the slugs/snails to crawl on will deter them. A combination of solutions from everyone here should take care of them.

Broken nutshells work in the same way as egg shells when getting rid of slugs. Break up the nutshells into small pieces, and create a protective barrier around your plants. Any slugs that come near your vegetables will soon turn the other way.

Crushed egg shells work as a great home remedy of slugs. This is because slugs don’t like moving across sharp objects, although it isn’t not impossible for them to do, they just prefer not to. Break up the empty egg shells into small(ish) pieces and place around the flowers, plants, vegetables, and fruits you want to keep safe from slug damage.

Ash and Cinders make a rough protective barrier, and the fine ash also acts as a desiccant that dries the slug out. Wood ash and cinders are preferable. Avoid direct contact with plants.

Grit and Gravel. The sharp rasping edges of finely crushed ‘horticultural grit’ makes an excellent slug barrier. Coarser gravel is largely ineffective, other than for decorative purposes.

Sandpaper. Cut rings of sandpaper and slip them round the stems of vulnerable plants.

Sawdust makes a good coarse barrier around tender plants, also acting as a desiccant that dries the slug out. Hardwood sawdust is most effective, and some people recommend cedar or oak.

Copper Rings or Discs. Solid copper rings/discs of various diameter, used to encircle single or small groups of plants to inflict a mild electric shock on the unsuspecting slug. Look for rings that clip together. These are easy to slip round established plant stems, or join together to form a larger barrier.

• Krafty Mrs.K Krafty Mrs.K on Jul 15, 2018
    I have tried a jar lid buried to be flush with the dirt and filling it with beer but the pellets (called Sluggo?) you can sprinkle in garden to kill slugs works longer.
    I also cut rings from water or juice bottles to make a barrier around my tomato plant stems.
  • Tom Stuart Tom Stuart on Jul 15, 2018

William gave you excellent ideas for protecting certain areas but overall the slugs are still there. In 1970 the snail bait had arsenic in it. I went to my ecology professor to find out the most environmentally friendly way to handle the problem. He said to use Arm and Hammer. I asked if he meant to sprinkle baking soda on them. He said no, pick them up and smash them with a hammer.

Snail bait has gotten much safer since then. I have tried most of William’s suggestions and while they work I have still had groups of plants decimated overnight.

I now keep my garden as clean as possible but spread snail bait around the yard. Once the population has been reduced you can just treat the affected areas when they return.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Jul 15, 2018
    Hi Kat,
    This is what I do, sprinkle Epsom salt around the soil and not on the plants, it will dissolve the slung and snails.
    The ES is a plant nutrient as well.