Candy Carroll
Candy Carroll
  • Lubbock, TX

Painted Garage Door

$25

We recently painted our house and so our garage door needed to be painted as well. I decided not to repaint it because I was hoping the old rust paint would show through as I just stained it. Here's how I did it!

painted garage door

First I used blue painters tape and taped off the squares and used black paint to make faux windows. I also made a black line down the middle of the door to make it look like two instead of one big door. I was so amazed how just doing that made such a huge difference! 

painted garage door

Then I purchased 1 quart each of Min wax Walnut Gel Stain and Satin Helmsman Spar Urethane. The cost was $25. I just mixed them together real well and proceeded to stain the garage door. I also added door handles and faux hinges at the end. It adds a great touch of detail!

painted garage door

This project took about 3 hours total. The pictures don't do it justice. It is so beautiful and makes the house look nice! I'm very proud of it!

painted garage door

The finished garage door- doesn't it look great?

• Cre25022571

I a excited to try this project for y garage door. Is your garage door a metal or wood?

• Cre25022571

Also, what type drill would I use to add hinges/handles, to go through the metal?

• Tim Rogers

No. I have them, too. They do dress-up the garage very well, but now I want to paint mine like yours. The black paint for the faux windows is genius.

• Cyn2146947

Did you apply the stain with a brush or a rag? It looks beautiful!

• Anna Ibarra

Ok I want to do this so badly! Too hot now, but early fall. 😍

• Candy Carroll

Not necessarily, if you don't paint your door a darker color, it will just turn out lighter. You could experiment on a white board before you begin to see if you like the color. If not, you could paint your door a darker color.

• Pip

Love the look! Just beware that the darker color will absorb heat from direct sunshine making your garage much hotter inside.

• Candy Carroll

That's probably right. I remember my dad telling me to get a roof that was light instead of a dark shingle for that very reason, but look at the roofs today! Mostly dark.