Candy Carroll
Candy Carroll
  • Lubbock, TX

Painted Garage Door

$25

We recently painted our house and so our garage door needed to be painted as well. I decided not to repaint it because I was hoping the old rust paint would show through as I just stained it. Here's how I did it!

painted garage door

First I used blue painters tape and taped off the squares and used black paint to make faux windows. I also made a black line down the middle of the door to make it look like two instead of one big door. I was so amazed how just doing that made such a huge difference! 

painted garage door

Then I purchased 1 quart each of Min wax Walnut Gel Stain and Satin Helmsman Spar Urethane. The cost was $25. I just mixed them together real well and proceeded to stain the garage door. I also added door handles and faux hinges at the end. It adds a great touch of detail!

painted garage door

This project took about 3 hours total. The pictures don't do it justice. It is so beautiful and makes the house look nice! I'm very proud of it!

painted garage door

The finished garage door- doesn't it look great?

Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of August 06, 2018 11:57 PM - More info

3 questions on this project