Lori Schibetz
Lori Schibetz
  • Sun City West, AZ

If I'm starting a garden, what can I plant that will survive the heat?

Garden Up Green - Carole2dogalJanet
+4

I’m starting a garden and live Phoenix. What are some good things to plant that will survive their heat?

• Colleen

Nothing now. Wait till mid September, at least. Been gardening in Phx for 45 years & I learned the hard way. Google Maricopa County Garden Planting Calendar. It comes from U of A. I suggest transplants instead of seeds, but both will work. Just because you see it in the garden section of a store, doesn't mean it's the ideal planting time for it. B e patient. Gardening should be fun - not stressful work.

• DesertRose

Succulents are great for AZ. I have found many varieties available now from cacti to moss roses. You can add different colors, textures, and sizes for variety. Check your local nursery for succulents and mix and match colors, sizes, textures, and types all you want! There really are a number from which to choose because they are so popular now. Also, they do not need much water. I water mine once a month and in the severe heat about once a week to ten days. They do fine! Hope this helps!! Just toss a little decorative stone between them on top of weed paper and you have a perfect garden!

• Janet

I would contact a local nursery who can advise you best

• 2dogal

Contact your County Agricultural Extension Cooperative. They can assist you. Get drought-tolerant plants - Phoenix is not the east where there's a lot of rain, so don't try to duplicate a lush green garden and lawn. Dwarf tiff grass works.

• Garden Up Green - Carole

I would research native plants for Arizona. Decide if you want green or flowering and if you want to grow veggies you'll probably have to wait until Fall to get started. Now however is a great time to create your plan, research, and get your beds built if you planned to do a raised garden.