Bright Bedroom Makeover

$45
1 Day

This is the first phase in our guest bedroom makeover, which we call “The Summer Room”.

Centered around a 50” Bessie the Cow painting that I found at a thrift store for $5 (Wayfair $397), my goal was to create a bright space to house art made by friends and family.

For this phase, I limited my budget to a maximum of $50.

bright bedroom makeover

The curtains are Pier1 purchased for 50 cents a panel at a thrift store. They have a beautiful sheen to them. The velvet comforter is Pottery Barn that I found for $6. I wanted to keep those and the yellow vintage chairs I bought for $5. I was using the chairs as side tables in the room. Here is a before photo.

bright bedroom makeover

To start this redo, I googled bright rooms and found that every room I had saved was painted in a shade of blue. So I downloaded a Sherwin-Williams app called ColorSnap and tried out different shades of blue on the wall by uploading the photo above to it. Then I went to Sherwin-Williams and brought home paint sample cards, to see the subtle differences throughout the day in different shades of light. Next, I numbered the samples, posted them on my Facebook page and took a poll of friends’ favorites.

bright bedroom makeover

Here’s my curly-headed, dreamy husband helping me paint.

bright bedroom makeover

And here is the room freshly painted. Ta -Da!

bright bedroom makeover

After painting, I added 2 heavy Bombay side tables (topped with button art by mother-in-law) that I won in a lucky coin toss for $5. I really want to paint them but have not decided on a color yet (feel free to suggest one).

bright bedroom makeover

I broke up the blue curtains on blue walls with dark brown sheers and brought in a similar shaded leather ottoman (that I put extra blankets inside) at the foot of the bed.

bright bedroom makeover

I moved the chairs to a corner to created a seating area that will ultimately have a round table in the middle.

bright bedroom makeover

I stacked side tables to create simple shelves and painted a white shelf yellow to hold a pop art picture that my husband painted of me recently.

bright bedroom makeover

On another wall I grouped a few pieces of art from my children and friends.

bright bedroom makeover

In the corner is the beginning of a piggy bank collection.

bright bedroom makeover

On that wall I want to add a royal hued velvet loveseat, put a mirror in the teal frame, and hang it sideways above it.

bright bedroom makeover

bright bedroom makeover

The final phase will be to replace the ceiling fan with a bright pink (?), funky chandelier.

Now I am just waiting for the “lucky finds”.

bright bedroom makeover

• Kilz paint in Jamaican Dream  (Walmart)
  • Paint brushes  (Already had)

• Ssl

Beautiful and creative! I want to have access to great thrift stores like you do...or is it online? In the case of this room, I feel the walls anchor the room and provide lovely restful color. Congrats!

• Itsmemic

this room looks like my house !!! We rock :O !

• Katie

I love all the color, makes me feel happy. One thing I would suggest is to add some bright white accents in the room to give the eye a place(s) to rest. It would also make the color pop even more. :-)