How to Stencil an Outdoor Rug

$30

When your front porch needs a little love and you want a rug that is a little more unique and shows your personality- you paint it!

The first step is to gather your materials. I used a triangle stencil, and four different shades of outdoor paint: black, white, yellow, and teal. You also need 4 sponge brushes, a pencil, and a tape measure.

Next, measure out the size of your rug. My rug was roughly 6 feet by 9 feet. Make sure to factor in the size of the stencil- you may have to make your border slightly bigger or smaller depending on the stencil.

Now it is time to stencil the pattern. I stenciled the triangles going one direction in the first row, then flipped the stencil for the next row to create the pattern. I got about four rows in before I became impatient and started to paint.

I didn't have a clear plan on how to map out the colors, but I knew I wanted the black and white to dominate the rug, so the teal and yellow would really stand out.

To finish it off, take your favorite color of the bunch, and paint a border. I free-handed the border to make it look more unique, but if you wanted a crisp line, I would use a ruler. Now- celebrate with a cold beverage and enjoy the view!

Patti

• NaomiK

Really cool! Love the colors and pattern

• Donna Hollis

I love this idea, but the questions from others echoed my concerns. No answers were given.