Painted Seed Starter Planter Box

$30

Decorate any Planter box with these finishing tips.

painted seed starter planter box

It's that time of year when I start making plans for my fall garden. To start seeds this year I decided to do things a little different.

This takes us to my seed planter box that was built quickly and ready for me to personalize with paint and stencils.

painted seed starter planter box

This tutorial is how to finish this box only. If you'd like to construct your own building instructions can be found here.

Supply list for was pretty basic; the paint came from Dixie Belle and the stencil from Studio 12.

Sand Paper

Paint Colors for Planter base – Sand Bar/8 oz.

Paint color for stencil and lid – Their newest addition > Coffee Bean/8 oz

Dixie Belle clear coat flat

Stencil from Studio 12

Painter’s tape

Paint brush and stencil brush

painted seed starter planter box

First prep the wood by sanding. I wanted a little bit of a rough edge so finish to your preference.

Then apply a thin coat of sand bar, let dry and apply a second. I'm just painting the exterior and top edge of the box.

painted seed starter planter box

Then I prepared to apply the stencil using pieces of the branch.

1. Tape the stencil to the box prior to stenciling.
  2. Use a quality stencil brush.
  3. dot through the open space.
  4. Make sure to remember less paint is best to keep from bleeding through.
painted seed starter planter box

Stencil transfer was a breeze and went around the entire box. Just using a few vines here and there so it looked fun but not over the top.

painted seed starter planter box

Finally I painted the lid edge with that new color from Dixie Belle paint, Coffee bean.

Once the box was dry I added a clear coat for outdoor protection and then the following day I got it prepped for planting.

I plan to use this box to start seeds for fall and spring planting. Which means I may need to make a couple more.

Cost of project is based on paint and stencil purchases.

Garden Up Green - Carole