Removing tile and a bathtub- Any thoughts?

+5

I want to change the space my bathtub is in to a craft closet. We have a big walk in shower on the other side of the bathroom and I am actually storing things in the bathtub now.I know I might need a plumber for the spigot and shower head but I really need advice on how the remove tile from the wall and I need to know how difficult it would be to move the cast iron tub. Any thoughts?

• Chisel or pry bar and a hammer work like magic. It is messy! For the cast iron tub, hire out, chances are the tub was installed before the walls went up and it will need to be cut in at least two pieces to remove.

• StefanieB StefanieB on Jul 17, 2018

If the tub is truly cast iron, cover it with old thick blankets and use a sledge hammer to break it up. It will be easier to remove (and to carry the pieces out).

Don't do this without a blanket over it. Shards fly EVERYWHERE. So wear/use all the appropriate safety gear.

• Dor22153986 Dor22153986 on Jul 17, 2018

Thank you.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Jul 17, 2018

This idea is practical, as if you are not using the tub as a bathtub, the space that it takes up is very inefficient. If you are planning to turn the tub area in a craft storage/closet space, do you really need all the plumbing hardware removed? What about after removing the tub, just properly capping off the upper shower head, and the tub taps, and leave the wall tiling?

Your first choice for the closet might be a 'completely different decor', but this scheme should save you money as you will not have to pay labour to extract the hardware, and then reconstruct or refinish the walls.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Jul 17, 2018

'Just another thought - I am wondering if the humidity in the room, due mainly to the shower, will be too high to be suitable for storing craft materials.

Where is your laundry presently located? Would the space that the tub is taking up now be sufficient to have a washer and dryer there instead of turning it into a storage closet? It already has the required water hookups and drain installed.

• Dor22153986 Dor22153986 on Jul 18, 2018

I Agree with you about the humidity. I have a little closet in the hall where they live now and I could move the washer and dryer to the bathroom which was my initial thought. Howeve my husband doesn’t know how we would ventilate it.