What's the best way to keep mice away besides poison??

+4

I have dogs and don't want poison around

• Janice Janice on Jul 16, 2018

Hi Doreen! Get some good old fashioned mouse traps and set in cabinets or in corners of the room with furniture or planters as a barrier so your dogs won't set them off and hurt themselves! You'll need to check them often...to lure the mice you can put very small pieces of cheese on the traps. They are available at Dollar Tree.

• LadyOtheLake LadyOtheLake on Jul 16, 2018

Peanut butter as bait is also helpful! I live in the country so I understand your dilemma!

• Peggy L Burnette Peggy L Burnette on Jul 16, 2018
    Hi this is Peggy, we have dogs and cats and poison is not an option. Be sure to plug all holes outside your house even tiny ones. We use traps with peanut butter ( I hate killing them but they get into everything). If you plug the holes with calk it will help. Good luck
  • Joanne Joanne on Jul 17, 2018

Hi this is Jo-Anne, we have dogs and cats and poison was out of the question. I planted mint outside the house. Mice hate it. Haven't had a problem since. Mint is perennial . You might want to put a potted plant in the house where you're seeing them if it's necessary. Also dryer sheets are another deterrent . They don't like those either. I find the mint works the best! Hope it works for you. Good luck!

• Calliejo Calliejo on Jul 19, 2018

Hire a cat that is known to be a good mouser--not only will cat get mice nut packrats & gophers (outside)--if you deter them on outside they Won't come inside. Also if you are more rural, if a king snake chooses to want to live on your property, BE GLAD FOR IT. Leave alone, it is not there to live in your house but rather to live off the tasty morsels it finds there. If you live where rattlesnakes are common, a king snake is known for killing them

• Patricia fehr Patricia fehr on Jul 24, 2018

I use catch and release traps. I hate the idea of mouse traps because they dont always kill quick and clean. Just make sure to check them frequently and release them away from other houses.

• B. Enne B. Enne on Jul 24, 2018
    We were told by an exterminator to wait till daytime to plug holes, since they come in at night, and he was right. We only needed to catch a couple instead of many.
    He then told us to use cheap mouse traps with peanut butter.