Front Porch Pergola

$1000
8 Weeks

The front of my house needed a drastic facelift and some curb appeal. I really disliked how plain it looked, so this is what I came up with. Staining the brick, adding fresh landscaping and a newly built front porch pergola really seemed to do the trick. Hope you enjoy!

These first two pictures are before. Very plain and unappealing.

Before: Pic 2

I used a semi-transparent concrete stain (English Brick) from Home Depot to give the brick some life again. Here is a side-by-side comparison of before and after.

Next couple of pictures are clearing the old landscaping and roots to drop the level of the dirt so the new patio stones will be flush with the existing sidewalk/driveway. I didn't want a step up or trip hazard.

Laying out and setting the 4x4 pressure treated pergola posts in concrete.

Posts set and assembled the remaining structure of the pergola all with PT lumber. I did a lot of research on how pergolas are constructed and designed mine to meet the size and layout that I desired. You will notice that I added the rear posts so I did not have to attach it to the house, therefore not having to worry about the loads. engineering and permitting that would be required. It's actually it's own stand alone structure.

Added paver base and leveling sand to prepare for the patio stones. There are plenty of tutorials out there on how to prep, lay and set pavers.

• Patio stones complete.
  • Stained pergola white after several weeks of letting the pressure treated lumber dry out.
  • Added furniture, plants and a swing I purchased on Amazon.
  • Added fabric shade canopy on top. Also Amazon.

Another angle.

Fresh landscaping. Even managed to get some grass to grow :-)

Done!

Before and after.

There are far too many materials to list below. Most came from Lowe's, with a 10% off coupon and $75 to have everything delivered to your house. Very convenient! If you have any questions about a specific item, just ask.

Most of the work took about a week, working mostly on the weekend and a few evenings after work. I put 8 weeks because I waited a few weeks before painting it to let the pressure treated lumber dry out some. It's not a good idea to paint fresh PT wood immediately. Even though I used stain instead of paint I still waited awhile. A good rule of thumb is checking PT lumber by spraying water on it and checking for absorption before painting. It should be very dry.

Thanks for looking :-)

• Donna Cox

Have you thought about the swing being painted WHITE? It just gets "lost" against the color of the brick...and to me it is the "focal" point! It painted white and a colorful thick cushion with a couple matching throw pillows and this would BE AMAZING!!! That would give you the "pop" you need for this amazing addition to your home!

• Kathy Forehand

How did you get the bricks all red I know you stained them but in your side by side you have bricks that are darker and lighter and you stained them and it turned them all one color? Hmmmm I’ve stained brick before and it didn’t make my darker bricks match the lighter ones so I’m really intrigued as to how you did that

• Rebecca

I’d like to know about the brick also. The whole update is genius both in curb appeal and usefulness. The white swing and vision idea is frosting on your wonderful cake?

• SpDad

Thanks Rebecca. All I did was brush on the semi-transparent stain onto each brick.