Front Porch Pergola

$1000
8 Weeks

The front of my house needed a drastic facelift and some curb appeal. I really disliked how plain it looked, so this is what I came up with. Staining the brick, adding fresh landscaping and a newly built front porch pergola really seemed to do the trick. Hope you enjoy!

front porch pergola

These first two pictures are before. Very plain and unappealing.

front porch pergola

Before: Pic 2

front porch pergola

I used a semi-transparent concrete stain (English Brick) from Home Depot to give the brick some life again. Here is a side-by-side comparison of before and after.

front porch pergola

Next couple of pictures are clearing the old landscaping and roots to drop the level of the dirt so the new patio stones will be flush with the existing sidewalk/driveway. I didn't want a step up or trip hazard.

front porch pergola
front porch pergola

Laying out and setting the 4x4 pressure treated pergola posts in concrete.

front porch pergola
front porch pergola
front porch pergola

Posts set and assembled the remaining structure of the pergola all with PT lumber. I did a lot of research on how pergolas are constructed and designed mine to meet the size and layout that I desired. You will notice that I added the rear posts so I did not have to attach it to the house, therefore not having to worry about the loads. engineering and permitting that would be required. It's actually it's own stand alone structure.

front porch pergola

Added paver base and leveling sand to prepare for the patio stones. There are plenty of tutorials out there on how to prep, lay and set pavers.

front porch pergola
  • Patio stones complete.
  • Stained pergola white after several weeks of letting the pressure treated lumber dry out.
  • Added furniture, plants and a swing I purchased on Amazon.
  • Added fabric shade canopy on top. Also Amazon.
front porch pergola

Another angle.

front porch pergola

Fresh landscaping. Even managed to get some grass to grow :-)

front porch pergola

Done!

front porch pergola

Before and after.

There are far too many materials to list below. Most came from Lowe's, with a 10% off coupon and $75 to have everything delivered to your house. Very convenient! If you have any questions about a specific item, just ask.

Most of the work took about a week, working mostly on the weekend and a few evenings after work. I put 8 weeks because I waited a few weeks before painting it to let the pressure treated lumber dry out some. It's not a good idea to paint fresh PT wood immediately. Even though I used stain instead of paint I still waited awhile. A good rule of thumb is checking PT lumber by spraying water on it and checking for absorption before painting. It should be very dry.

Thanks for looking :-)

• User

Very nice! With the brick stain- did you pressure wash first and also did you apply stain strictly over the bricks or you both brick and grout? Thank you

• SpDad

Hi, yes I pressure washed first and only the brick. I wanted the lighter colored grout to contrast. Thanks.

• ElizaBeth

Wow. Lot of work! Great job! Have you considered painting swing white? It sort of disappears. Maybe a white large star or wall planters...just thinking a pop of white past the window would create more balance? Seriously tho, great great makeover!

• Cathy Almon

I agree with Elizabeth painting the swing white would say "WOW look at me" You did a beautiful job. Enjoy

• Deborah Perry Blankenship

Any thought to put a planter box, of any length but 4 ft high, centered in front of Pergola. The plants in it could be seasonal flowers for a pop of color? If desired you could display your house numbers on the front of the box.