Front Porch Pergola

$1000
8 Weeks

The front of my house needed a drastic facelift and some curb appeal. I really disliked how plain it looked, so this is what I came up with. Staining the brick, adding fresh landscaping and a newly built front porch pergola really seemed to do the trick. Hope you enjoy!

These first two pictures are before. Very plain and unappealing.

Before: Pic 2

I used a semi-transparent concrete stain (English Brick) from Home Depot to give the brick some life again. Here is a side-by-side comparison of before and after.

Next couple of pictures are clearing the old landscaping and roots to drop the level of the dirt so the new patio stones will be flush with the existing sidewalk/driveway. I didn't want a step up or trip hazard.

Laying out and setting the 4x4 pressure treated pergola posts in concrete.

Posts set and assembled the remaining structure of the pergola all with PT lumber. I did a lot of research on how pergolas are constructed and designed mine to meet the size and layout that I desired. You will notice that I added the rear posts so I did not have to attach it to the house, therefore not having to worry about the loads. engineering and permitting that would be required. It's actually it's own stand alone structure.

Added paver base and leveling sand to prepare for the patio stones. There are plenty of tutorials out there on how to prep, lay and set pavers.

• Patio stones complete.
  • Stained pergola white after several weeks of letting the pressure treated lumber dry out.
  • Added furniture, plants and a swing I purchased on Amazon.
  • Added fabric shade canopy on top. Also Amazon.

Another angle.

Fresh landscaping. Even managed to get some grass to grow :-)

Done!

Before and after.

There are far too many materials to list below. Most came from Lowe's, with a 10% off coupon and $75 to have everything delivered to your house. Very convenient! If you have any questions about a specific item, just ask.

Most of the work took about a week, working mostly on the weekend and a few evenings after work. I put 8 weeks because I waited a few weeks before painting it to let the pressure treated lumber dry out some. It's not a good idea to paint fresh PT wood immediately. Even though I used stain instead of paint I still waited awhile. A good rule of thumb is checking PT lumber by spraying water on it and checking for absorption before painting. It should be very dry.

Thanks for looking :-)

15 Memorial Day Crafts
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners

• Nancy Bakker
    Nancy Bakker

How much did this project cost you?

• Pra28313410
      Pra28313410

Meaningless question, for everything is relative. Hate when ppl ask this. Consider just these variables alone:

1. Gonna get pro landscapers or a carpenter to do it right, or a "handyman " and risk it?

2. Permits will add to cost. Most places will require 1; possibly inspections.

3. What time of year u gonna do it? There are premium times if year.

4. Are u in an expensive cost of living area? U pay more for labor, goods, taxes from the get-go.

5. U may catch some sales for the additional stuff, maybe not.

In sum, u have to do your OWN homework here.

• Pra28313410
    Pra28313410

Not asking, but food for thought: since u did not attach the pergola, research the item and see if that affects ur taxing. Some places u pay more if it is; others, "free standing" structures are taxed less. Depends........and dont forget to see about permits. Many places can not only make an unpermitted structure be a fineable offense, but make u tear it down. Ugh.

• EmmaSurf
      EmmaSurf

Good idea to check. I know though, my insurance company told me that's any structure not attached too the house is covered under the addl structure on my ho policy(meaning no increase in premium). Attaching a structure is considered an addition so increases the replacement cost (addl prem) also increases property tax. YMMV depending on locale

• Susie Watson
    Susie Watson

Beautiful! What a difference!!

• Pra28313410
    Pra28313410

Emma, I didnt even get into the added ? of raised insurance or not. Good for u for bringing that up. I was talking strictly taxes. But here's another added step ppl forget in projects like these: dreaded homeowner associations!! The masters & overlords!!

I hope ppl reading these comments see WHY I said u have to do your OWN homework. Variables, variables, variables.

I am glad this came out so nicely. Definite curb appeal upgrade👏

• Lisa West
      Lisa West

Yup God forbid the town doesn't get their money. Uts ridiculous how much taxes are in some states. The towns city etc. God forbid you want your home to look nice and tidy. You get taxed to death. No wonder people are building tiny homes. Can't really tax something in wheels yearly. Even if the person buys land. Its not a perm structure. The giv will figure that out soon enough though, so they can tax small home owner to death to.

• Christine Ann
    Christine Ann

Beautiful transformation! Kudos to you. Now you have another room in your house~I bet you get many hours of enjoyment from it!