Front Porch Pergola

$1000
8 Weeks

The front of my house needed a drastic facelift and some curb appeal. I really disliked how plain it looked, so this is what I came up with. Staining the brick, adding fresh landscaping and a newly built front porch pergola really seemed to do the trick. Hope you enjoy!

These first two pictures are before. Very plain and unappealing.

Before: Pic 2

I used a semi-transparent concrete stain (English Brick) from Home Depot to give the brick some life again. Here is a side-by-side comparison of before and after.

Next couple of pictures are clearing the old landscaping and roots to drop the level of the dirt so the new patio stones will be flush with the existing sidewalk/driveway. I didn't want a step up or trip hazard.

Laying out and setting the 4x4 pressure treated pergola posts in concrete.

Posts set and assembled the remaining structure of the pergola all with PT lumber. I did a lot of research on how pergolas are constructed and designed mine to meet the size and layout that I desired. You will notice that I added the rear posts so I did not have to attach it to the house, therefore not having to worry about the loads. engineering and permitting that would be required. It's actually it's own stand alone structure.

Added paver base and leveling sand to prepare for the patio stones. There are plenty of tutorials out there on how to prep, lay and set pavers.

• Patio stones complete.
  • Stained pergola white after several weeks of letting the pressure treated lumber dry out.
  • Added furniture, plants and a swing I purchased on Amazon.
  • Added fabric shade canopy on top. Also Amazon.

Another angle.

Fresh landscaping. Even managed to get some grass to grow :-)

Done!

Before and after.

There are far too many materials to list below. Most came from Lowe's, with a 10% off coupon and $75 to have everything delivered to your house. Very convenient! If you have any questions about a specific item, just ask.

Most of the work took about a week, working mostly on the weekend and a few evenings after work. I put 8 weeks because I waited a few weeks before painting it to let the pressure treated lumber dry out some. It's not a good idea to paint fresh PT wood immediately. Even though I used stain instead of paint I still waited awhile. A good rule of thumb is checking PT lumber by spraying water on it and checking for absorption before painting. It should be very dry.

Thanks for looking :-)

31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames

• Carol Bartholomew

Did you put light color shingles on roof? It seems the roof is lighter in before and after? Very nice change and adding pergola gives you sitting area. I like it very much!

• Beth

Notice the sky. Looks like the before pictures were taken on an overcast day. The after pictures appear to be taken on a nice sunny day, which would make the roof appear a few shades lighter.

• Judie Morris

How would your finished space look with a few Boston Ferns across the front?

• Chandler Tonya

I just found this on the internet. I was looking for some appeal for my one level much like yours brick ranch home. Ive been thinking for over a year that I might do a pergola. But I couldn't find many pics online with a front porch pergola. This looks awesome and it was what I was looking for. So how much did it cost and how did you do your brick...... Just kidding I read the comments from the beginning and I notice you had to answer that same question a 100 times lol. I like the white also. How do you like it today? I will have to pay someone to do mine so I wonder what a fair price would be minus the materials to build. Mine wouldn't be as long as yours.