Quick and Easy Shelving for a Shed - or Bunkie

$25

We just had a bunkie built at the cottage... (this is a shed that you can use for a sleeping cabin). I needed a place for my off season clothing and other storage. I had a bunch of small wooden crates that I thought might work.

I had four of these 17 X 12 inch crates and some pole parts left over from a doomed fabric garage shed.

I mounted the four crates on the studs of the shed, keeping a distance between them into which one of the old garage pole pieces would fit as a rod. I left a space between the crates to act as extra shelves.

This length of pole, pre-drilled at the ends is what I used for a rod.

This nut and bolt set with a nice thick bolt came out of an old porch swing. It's a lucky thing that I inherited my Dad's attitude..." I might be able to use that someday..." Its length was the perfect fit through the pole's holes.

I pushed the pole through the top crate handles and threaded the bolt through the pre-drilled holes. This is so the pole won't slide sideways through the crate and fall to the floor.

I thought the crate slats might allow little things to fall through so I lined them with some card stock I had on hand.

With the card stock in place, I was ready to finish off the project.

Here we have it! Room to hang off season coats and such. Those baskets are filled with winter scarves, gloves and hats. I am sure these shelves will be pretty full before long, but for now any cottage bunkie guests have a place for their stuff as well. Seems I left my drill in the picture... sorry about that!

• Heather Kuder

Ok I like this concept and would like to use it, but in my daughters closet with the wood crates and there already a clothes hanging bar! So my daughter can store some of her stuff that she dont want to get rid of, but place the crates uprite instead of down like a shelf! Wonder if it look OK and how to securely install them?

• Heather Kuder

True one thing she hardly used her closet for hanging close the only close that are in there are nice dressy close that she hardly ever wears! So figure I can hang quite a few crates!my girl is mentally disabled and I worked my but off painting her hole room and bought her gorgeous bed I want it to look as if a girl lives in her room! She has no decorating skills or cares! So I gotta do it all! Right now her room has been stripped and only painted and done a beautiful accent wall,side bed table, area rug and rest is blank while I figure out how to further decorate & storage for her room! Plus funding! Be needed lol!

Here pic's of what I done!

On purple part of her accent wall there a neat looking Dream catcher I painted that's not in the photos! I need to remember to do pictures and or video as I do thing so I can post them on one of my favorite website, but I keep forgetting!

• Ralph Brunjes

Great idea, but I would have put something on the end of the poles so that I would not catch myself or anything on as they can be very sharp .

• Rose Work

Ok, I'm having visions of building a closet now........

Thank you!