How can I paint my kitchen?

+5

I want to paint my kitchen but I have brown paneling, yes with the dee

• Ann Cherkas Halstead Ann Cherkas Halstead on Jul 18, 2018

Paint the paneling

• Paneling can be painted. Clean it well (since it's a kitchen, there will be grease on the walls even if you don't fry food.) Then use a good primer and paint. You'll probably need to use a brush in the grooves. Your brown paneling will look cute and cottage-y when you're done.

• Betty Betty on Jul 19, 2018

Hi Ann my mother had paneling in living room. .she wanted it white. .got paint and primer in one. .got at home depot. .looks great. .I am sure the store will show you what you need to do the job. .Good luck on your paint job. .

• William William on Jul 19, 2018

Paint the paneling.

Make sure the paneling is clean and dry. Prime with a good stain blocking primer like Zinsser 123 or BIN. Then paint like painting regular walls. If the paneling has grooves you can fill them with non shrink drywall patching compound. Just put on enough to fill the grooves. Let it dry overnight. Next day use a damp sponge to smooth the patch. Then prime and paint.

• Wendy Wendy on Jul 19, 2018
    Yes, first get the walls really clean. Then use a super good primer. Finish by using Zinsser perma-white mildew proof bathroom paint. This stuff wears like iron! And yes, your room will have a "cottage look". I wouldn't fill in the grooves.
  • Ellis Ellis on Jul 19, 2018

A relative painted the dark pine paneling in their kitchen white, and it looked great.

• Babette Babette on Jul 20, 2018

After visiting numerous Amish homes, we realized that the very best was to adapt all our bathroom and kitchen walls, and cabinets, to go with their clean-and-durable-long-lasting principle of only using gloss enamel! Gloss is key word, and we have had ours all still easy-care and looking beautiful after nearly 12 full years! Takes a beating - and we selected good colors. Our cabinets were all wood, but my sister did hers likewise and they were the old paneling type that were just dark and outdated - so doing it with the high gloss enamel was shocking but she got a tan/beige tone and it was heavy-duty to give instant loaded coverage and take lots of use with a busy family; and hers still looks great after about 9 years now!

With 6 bathrooms and a very large full working-busy kitchen; the paint-men who did the mixing always tried soooo hard to deter us not to go with enamel for the walls, they'd stress how it was 'not acceptable or suggested' to use that on the walls for those rooms, and too 'untraditional' that we'd regret it, ha! Well, we persisted - and glad we did! We raised a large family and entertained a lot, and have gotten so many positive comments that I could fill a book over the years!

Always keeps on looking spectacular -- and just a quick-wipe takes care of easy-cleaning! But then everybody is different, so this is just sharing what we have found...... :)

• Lynda Anctil Lynda Anctil on Jul 20, 2018

Yes you can wash it first, prime it than paint