How To Easily Frame A Large Print For Cheap!

$14

Frames are expensive! Am I right or am I super right?

I got a large print of my favorite piece of Japanese artwork and was shocked when the frame shop told me it would be about 9 million dollars to frame.

This is how I framed it for cheap.

how to easily frame a large print for cheap

This is what I spent:

4mm plywood- $7

1mm sheet of plastic- $5

2 pieces of flat trim - $2

Grand total (opens calculator app)- $14

I priced glass first, but plastic was cheaper. It's easy to cut this thickness of plastic with a box cutter and ruler if you need to cut it down.

The size of the 4mm plywood was 1820X910. I cut it into 4 pieces about 880X450, so I could build more frames of equal size in the future.

Cut the trim at 45 degree angles.

It's better to check the size using the plywood after each cut.

The frame is finished! Lay it down on the plywood and trace it to make reference lines for your print.

I intended on making the print sit perfectly in the middle of the plywood, but I made a mistake on my first plywood cut...drats!

To do this, just measure the thickness of your trim, double it and add it to the height and width of your print.

The reference lines!

Use thin 'heavy-duty' double sided tape to attach the print.

Be careful rolling the print over the tape, because you might not be able to pull it off without ruining the print.

Staining the trim!

I used Liberon wax polish. This stuff is great and smells awesome.

OK, this part is tricky! You'll be screwing the plywood into the back of the frame.

1.Lay the frame 'wax polished side down' first.

2.Put the plastic over the frame.

3.Put the plywood with taped-on print over the plastic.

Drill pilot holes into the back of the plywood. Don't worry, the plastic won't crack.

Constantly check to make sure the frame and plastic are lined up with the plywood while you drill holes.

I cut these little pieces of wood at 45 degree angles to add to the look of my frame.

Gasp!! What in the world is that Bryan!?? Gasp!!

It's Japanese art folks!

This is "Takiyasha the Witch and the Skeleton Spectre" by: Utagawa Kuniyoshi.

I live in Japan and this is my favorite piece of Japanese art. I'll be hanging it in my workshop.

Finished!

Thanks for reading!

Check out Bryan's Workshop on Facebook and Instagram.

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/bryansworkshop/

• Shuganne

Well, now I've been introduced to Japanese art. I know my fourth grade students (10-11 year olds) would think it is just perfect.

You did a wonderfully detailed description of your work and I do have some art I will be trying this on. I love the frame and the extra diagonal pieces in the corners are captivating except that they look a teeny bit more red than the frame. This distracts my eye from the art itself. Was that deliberate? And why? The witch is my favorite, because some of her looks stitched. What mediums did the artist use? Thank you so much for sharing! You make me almost regret not being on Instagram and Facebook to see more if your work.

• Bryan's Workshop

Thank you! The original is a Japanese ukiyo-e triptych and it was made somewhere between1830-1844. Ukiyo-e is a style of woodblock art and triptych means three panels. I only have a large print of a digital recreation. I live in Japan and the original is in my area, but they have it locked away.

I have a big drawer full of stains, waxes, and varnishes and just grabbed these two. I really like how they look together. For me, I feels it attracts your attention to each corner of the art.

• Pat hayes

AWESOME! And the print is totally amazing....your post was perfect cause we just got a 5' x 20" canvas ,already stretched but it needs a frame to set it off...my husband couldn't visualize what i was trying to describe to him and here is your perfect ,also cheap, solution...VOILA'

Thanks for the super pictorial !!!!

( again, i LOVE that cool print!)

• Pat hayes

sorry! replied to myself...oops😣,

again...a pic of the cosmos, from

NASA! overall a very interesting giclee'...will look so much better with a frame like yours but, i intend to make it silver....fits the subject matter, cheers!