Where Do Old Bikes Go When They Die? To the Garden of Course!

$16

My old bike from the 50's was great fun. It was handed down to me from my sister. I rode many streets of Inglewood back in the day. The bike went from LA to a small town and stayed at my parents where grand kids could ride it. Then I ended up with it and it sat in the junk pile! Then a friend thought he could restore it. Alas, the frame was bent. But he repainted it and surprised me by returning it. There
where do old bikes go when they die to the garden of course
Originally my bike had a basket but along the way a grandson must have thought that was too sissy and took it off. I decided I was going to have baskets front and back. When I was at Ross (great place to find deals) I found this small basket for $4.99 and then . . .
I turned down the aisle and found this larger basket on clearance for $4.00. A divine sign. I had to try and decorate my bike.
Here's my bike! The kickstand doesn't work and the back wheel is frozen so it can only go forward when moving it (more on that later). I had much wider tires and those are not the original fenders. Seems my nephew changed out the handlebars and added a banana seat; basically changed my bike.
I had forgotten about the license plate. You had to license your bike!
How to get the baskets to hang on the bike? Zip ties. One in each corner worked for the front.
I put one on each side of the seat and ..
Two down the middle.
Since I always jump in on a project without thinking through, on the day I found the Ross baskets I saw this one for $3.99. Surely the coir would cost that much at a hardware store? I decided to grab it. (I may be able to put the basket on the back of my washing machine.)
Because I don't think things through the oval coir didn't quite fill up high enough in the big basket so I decided to cut some boards to shore it up so I could add more dirt. If it doesn't work out next year I'll redo it (hmm, sure I will!).
Place of honor for the license.
Back basket filled with begonias and zinnias. Not sure if they are Thumbelina or not, but they were on clearance so I bought them.
The front basket just has begonias.
I placed the bike along a walkway for now. There was an iron post that I could tie it to so it won't fall over. Because the baskets made it so heavy it was hard to maneuver around and I basically had to pick it up and carry it! At least my bike is where I can see and enjoy it again.

• I did a little research after cleaning the brass plate on the front of the bike. My bike is a Columbia and was made by Northwestern Mfg Company out of Westfield, Mass. You can still buy Columbia bikes (reproduction vintage). I viewed pictures and it has made my memory clearer. I had a light on the front fender and it was crème and blue; not white. I also found the sales receipt and my folks paid $50!

Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 17, 2018 11:12 PM - More info

• Maureen May

I love it, well done🌹I am going to do the same in my garden 😘

• Vil22687897

Here's the picture you asked me for Lovesunique! My old bike will always be with me, the chair had a bowl of water for my birds. Now I need to add some flowers. Thank you

• Lovesunique

That is just so whimsical! The chair is cute too. It made me smile...a chair and a bike suspended in the air. The color of the bike is my favorite in the garden. Thanks for posting!