Pam Smith
Pam Smith
  • Hanford, CA

DIY Backyard Gazebo

$20

I have this area in my yard that isn’t really usable for entertaining. It’s around the corner from the patio and is pretty narrow. So this is the perfect fit! First of all I had my husband build (DIY) me this small structure out of 1 x 2’s. Funny thing- we used the basic idea from the cat hutches he built for the animal shelter! Hey, if it works! We did add a pitched roof on this one though.

diy backyard gazebo

We ‘rescued’ the chair from a backyard at an abandoned house, Steve picked up the small heater at a friends house, the large stump came from a neighbor and the other pieces I already had laying around.

diy backyard gazebo

For the roof, I used a large curtain I had from a sale many year ago. I believe it was a hospital curtain. The eyelets were only on one side, so I cut another strip of eyelets from another curtain and sewed it to the other side. I used some pieces of rope to attach it to the frame.

diy backyard gazebo
diy backyard gazebo

I gathered up a bunch of stuff I already had and picked up a few more things at thrift stores. I was originally going for more of a boho look, with lots of colors, but I ended up with turquoise. 

diy backyard gazebo

I had these solar mason jars at the old house and reused them here. I actually had kind of forgotten I had them. I was cleaning out some cupboards and rediscovered them. They work perfect on the metal planter as a chandelier.

diy backyard gazebo

The vintage brown bike in the first photos got a fresh coat of paint. Doesn’t it look pretty! I love spray paint! I added a faux succulent wreath to the handlebars.

diy backyard gazebo

I would eventually like to add some gravel to the ground, but this piece of carpet works for now.

diy backyard gazebo

At dusk, I turn on some of the lights and it looks so pretty.

diy backyard gazebo

I hope you enjoyed seeing my little escape! Head on over to my blog to see more!

Pam Smith

• Barbara

Why not some kind of ground cover. There are some very thick and easy on the feet.

• Hope

Hi. Your space looks very inviting...the perfect spot to read a book or just relax. We get a lot of rain in my area (not sure about your area) so, I am wondering what you do with your textiles during a rain shower...do you bring everything in or do you put it in a weather-proof container of some kind..?

• Mary M

I made our gazebo cover from a canvas tarp. Grandkids stamped flowers and butterflies on it. It stands up to weather really well. In light rain it doesn't even come through. It won't last forever but the first one lasted 9 years.

• Gail Layson

What kind of heater is that?

• Tammy

I don't have a question however I would like to say this is an amazing idea my husband is always on the lookout for these things on sale never thought once to try something like this and we do projects me daily as part of the my job but together we love making things and changing our house. Thank you for the idea hopefully we can make it as great as yours!

• Pam Smith

That's great! It's nice to have husbands that can take our crazy ideas and build something! I know yours will look great too!

• Mary M

I think it is lovely. We have a nwtal roof that juts off a small building in our backyard. I have put up a lovely fan but have done nothing more. You've inspired me to get busy. I have 30 square tiles (hard rubber) that I got for $30 at big lots. I think my next step will be to temove the old plastic (broken) storage box and raie and smooth the tiles and put my favorite yard chair there. I have some old canvas from a previous gazebo coover do I might put a curtain on one side. Tks. Yours is lovely!