Repurpose Your Bathroom Fixtures in the Garden!

$10

They say that kitchens and bathrooms sell houses, but I wonder if that holds true when items you would typically find in those spaces are repurposed outside!

We had a blank section of fencing at the entry to our backyard that needed a little somethin’ somethin’. Last August when we stumbled upon a garage sale, I decided that the somethin’ was going to be a bathroom light fixture!

repurpose your bathroom fixtures in the garden

As I made inquiries about purchasing the fixture, hubs thought I had lost it and went to pout in the car before I could explain my vision. He must’ve thought I wanted to install it in our bathroom but nothing could be further from the truth in the far corners of my creative mind!

The light fixture went into my ‘someday’ stash and was almost completely forgotten until a few weeks ago when hubs came home with a curbside find that would complete my vision perfectly! You can see the full transformation of the mirror below in last week's Hometalk post.

Getting back to the light fixture, I removed the glass shades and set them aside for an as-yet-to-be-determind future purpose.

I removed the two knobs on the front so I could lift off the back plate and access the wiring. I used a wire cutter to snip and remove all the wires.

I set the knobs aside in a plastic resealable bag so they wouldn’t get lost.

Paint

I mixed two colours of left-over paint (dark green & yellow) to achieve a lighter colour green. Hubs spray painted the metal; front and back.

Once dry, I reattached the backplate on the light fixture – twice. On my first try, I accidentally put it back together upside down. Luckily hubs noticed my mistake right away. The narrow end of the key slot should point upward!

At this point, we temporarily installed both the light fixture and mirror on the fence while the mirror was still separate from the frame. We took advantage of the fact that the frame weighs next to nothing without the glass in it. It was way easier (for hubs) to move the frame around while I figured out exactly where it should be positioned on the fence.

Hubs did all the measuring, marking and predrilling. All I had to do was stand back and nod my head in approval.

Vinyl covered hooks were used to hang the mirror. Since the light fixture had that backplate with the keyhole slots, two stainless steel screws were used to hold the light fixture; it just slipped right over the screws. Easy peasy when the backplate is screwed on right!

We forgot to spray paint those two little knobs that hold the backer plate bracket onto the fixture. I popped them onto a pair of needle nosed pliers and quickly painted them with a little brush. I gave the knobs a few coats and set them aside to dry.

We found these planters at a succulent sale in the Spring.

I didn’t know it at the time, but they were the right shape to replace the glass light shades. They were special for more than just the shape though: if you look underneath, you’ll see that the drainage holes are NOT in the centre – they’re around the perimeter of the edge. That was a stroke of luck because I didn’t want water dripping into the sockets; I wanted the water to flow away from the metal if possible. These were perfect!

What wasn’t so perfect was that I had bought one size too small. The vendor selling these containers wasn’t going to be back in the city anytime soon, but she had a farm an hour north of the city, so we trekked out there just to buy a bigger size. I didn’t even know if they would fit or if they even still had them, but we took a chance. When we got there, the vendor’s husband told us they had run out but his wife Ellen looked around and managed to find a few for me. Not only did I get my containers, but I even got a price break for my trouble – thanks Ellen!!

We planted the containers with wave petunias (see our blog for all our tips and tricks on planting them)!

After the knobs were dried I came back to reassemble the fixture with the backplate. The knobs get screwed onto the front.

There was one more thing I wanted to do with the light fixture before I could call it done. I knew I’d find a use for these empty film canisters one day! You'll have to head to our blog to see the step-by-step on what we did with these because we've run out of picture space.

Our two repurposed pieces were finally ready to make their debut in our garden. The light fixture was mounted right above the mirror and the wave petunias were placed into each light sconce. As you see below, the film canisters mimic the look of candle sticks.

Hubs didn’t initially understand my vision for using indoor bathroom fixtures in an outdoor space, buy he sure gets it now! He loves our newest garden vignette as much as I do.

The day lilies and wave petunias are a nice complement to the colour of the paint I custom mixed. We’ll see how the wave petunias do over the summer. If they don’t survive in the small containers, we’ll switch them out with succulents – which are low maintenance.

There are more before and afters, tips and tricks on our blog so pay us a visit! Be sure to also check out the video (you'll find it at the top of this post) and subscribe to our YouTube channel! If you click through, you'll also find the tutorial on the best way to adhere mirror to a frame for outdoor use.

Get your DIY mojo on at Birdz of a Feather and subscribe (link in the footer where you see our logo). You can also follow us on:

Pinterest,

Facebook,

YouTube: http://bit.ly/BirdzYT

Instagram: http://bit.ly/BirdzIG

• Bathroom light fixture  (Garage sale)
  • Paint  (PPG Break-Through)
Birdz of a Feather