Plain Jane Junky to Musically Marvelous!

I inherited this table from a generous girlfriend. It was in terrible shape - gouged and scratched and literally chewed up. I spent hours on this baby (and I hear coffee tables are not exactly "in" right now) so... I decided to use it as a test space for a foray into Decoupage. If you look below, the results are melodious!
plain jane junky to musically marvelous, chalk paint, painted furniture
See the wood filler on the scalloped area underneath? It was sort of there but most of it had been chewed off. My never-ending quest for balance put me in in the unenviable position of having to fix/rebuild it - My husband and I fashioned a new scalloped piece which then necessitated glueing and sanding and then more sanding... What a job!
This is just one of the 4 chewed-up legs on this poor table. It must have been some kind of big, busy dog!
So, here is the final result. A decoupage of sheet music surrounding an oval of classical artistic "renderings." I used a robin's egg blue chalk paint (homemade) as a base, distressed the table, gave it a white "antique" glaze and a poly finish. I think the color really suits it! :)
Decoupage is not as easy as it looks. It takes a TREMENDOUS amount of practice and patience (did I say practice?) to get it to look better than if a third grader did it (I actually HAVE a third grader at home and she probably could have done a better job than I did) :) The bubbles are inevitable and maddening and I have not stumbled upon a secret for perfection (beyond using a pin to prick the bubbles and smooth things out). That said, I think the table came out quite beautiful (for a first try anyway).

Allison King-Jordan (Zentivity Designs)