Rhonda
Rhonda
  • Pearland, TX

Simple Glazing Techniques For A Beautiful Furniture Finish

$45

Hi, I'm Rhonda, a Hometalker here in Houston. I recently did a Facebook Live with Hometalk where I shared a cabinet glazing technique. In case you missed it, here's my tutorial!

Want to get this gorgeous glazed look? I can help! Click here to go to my profile page and send me a message to get started!

simple glazing techniques for a beautiful furniture finish

The first thing you’ll want to do when painting any furniture is to make sure to clean it well. Be especially vigilant with kitchen and bathroom cabinets as furniture in these rooms can have all kinds of surface build up. I used a degreaser called Emerge, but you can also use TSP (trisodium phosphate).

Today I’m using Annie Sloan chalk paint in a custom mix of 2 parts Graphite to 5 parts Old White, because that’s what I had on hand, but if you're buying new paint and want this look, you can use Annie Sloan's Paris Gray. The best part about using chalk paint is that there is no prep time. Just clean your cabinets well, rinse it well so you don't leave any reside, and you’re ready to start. To start, I painted 2 coats of chalk paint over my cabinets.

Let’s talk about glazing! I love to say that glazing is a "perfectly imperfect finish". The glaze gives your cabinets more character and definition. Today I’m using a water based glaze called Heritage Collection Heirloom Paints antiquing gel. Make sure you have some water handy to loosen up the glaze. I’ve also got my General Finishes extender, which increases the dry time on water based finishes. This will give you more time to play with the stain before it dries to get a look you like.

Mix the extender in with the glaze (I love my Mix Mat!), and you're ready to go.

Apply the stain with a brush to your cabinets. I love a heavier look, but don’t be shy to start light and get heavier as you go.

Once applied, begin wiping the excess glaze off with a paper towel. Keep your strokes uniform as you go.

If you feel the stain beginning to dry, you can spray a clean paper towel with water and keep wiping until you’re happy with the look.

Enjoy your perfectly imperfect glaze finish!

Want to get this gorgeous glazed look? I can help!  Click here to go to my profile page and send me a message to get started!

More tutorials on different glazing styles coming soon...

Blessings

CHALK PAINT (R) by Annie Sloan – Decorative paint for furniture,...

• Amy Lanier

I'm so glad you showed us how to do this! Its beautiful! I'm also glad it's not another tutorial on white cabinets. I'm so tired of everyone doing white cabinets. Gray looks great! I'm ready to glaze my 1st piece now. Can you glaze over previously painted cabinets? I want to glaze these.

• Rhonda

Thank you Amy! I love glaze. It’s so versatile and forgiving! You can glaze over existing paint. Be sure to clean your cabinets well. It helps to know what kind of paint they were painted with so you can glaze with an appropriate glaze. 😊

• Margaret Bystrowski

Am I supposed to put on polyurethane or sealer on top of the doors after the glazing process?

can I glaze twice if I feel like it could use another coat?

• Rhonda

Hi Margaret...you can add as many layers of glaze as you want. Definitely seal with a topcoat. I recommend General Finishes High Performance Topcoat in your choice of sheen. Or Modern Masters Master Clear Supreme in your choice of sheen.

Let me know if you need any additional help!

Blessings,

Rhonda

• Kathy
    An hour ago

After glazing the cabinets, what do you suggest putting over the glaze cabinet to protect the cabinet finish from moisture? I'm considering doing this to my bathroom cabinet. Thanks for your help!!!

Kathy

the

• Rhonda
      30 minutes ago

I use General Finishes High Performance Top Coat or Modern Masters Clear Supreme.

Best wishes on your project!