Hangin' With My Gnomies Tire Swing Planter

$11
1 Day

Just last week I braked for a roadside freebie- a tire! I tossed it in my trunk and headed straight to the store for spray paint and rope, LOL! This project was similar to one I'd seen years ago and I was ready to make it mine! I knew what I wanted and that tire was making it happen.

First I washed the tire with Simple Green and a scrub brush .

I laid out a sheet of plastic to paint on. Cardboard is good too- anything to keep you from having the wrong color lawn.

I sprayed around the exterior twice. Then the interior spraying more on the inside sides then the bottom which would be filled with dirt and the top which would be hidden. Once dry I flipped it over and sprayed that side and checked for missed spots. It took me 1 can of spray paint but might take you a bit more depending on the size of your tire. I love the new summer colors Rustoleum puts out! This one is a blue called Satin Seaside.

Then a hole drilled in the top to hang it. We could've just tied the rope around the tire but the paint will scrape off when it swings so this worked best.

Seriously use a large drill bit and expect some smoke because you're burnin' rubber!

We had this eye bolt set already. It was rather long but free wins out.

Screw the eyebolt into the hole you drill with a nut on the inside to secure it.

I had hubby drill some drain holes in the bottom. More smoke!

I knew this gnome tire planter swing was going in Fairy Forest...in the gnome section of course!

Then it was a matter of getting that rope up in the tree- this was a little difficult but a ladder saved the day! Then tie the rope to the eyebolt.

Next a bit of pea gravel... but in hindsight I should've put a little landscaping fabric in first. I'll do it next Spring when I add new flowers.

Then the dirt ....

Got my flowers and planted them in the tire along with one of my gnomes and that could've been enough but I had an idea....

I thought it would be cute to paint words on the tire but my tire was a low profile tire and too narrow. So I took a board and had hubby trim it a bit. Then I painted it to match the color I used on the tire. I made a stencil on my Cricut just because I don't have a steady painting hand, lol.

I also sprayed the sign with clear spray paint to help it last longer.

Then he drilled holes in the sign to attach it to the tire.....

I love this new tire planter and think the "Hangin' with my Gnomies" wording is so darn cute!

I tried to include a complete supplies and tools list of anything you might need below. But all I actually purchased was the spray paint, rope and flowers (which were marked down!) . Everything else I had already so this was a cheap DIY.

It really adds to the whole look don't you think? I'm pretty sure the gnomes are impressed!

• Tec26894873

What font did you use for your lettering?

• Kelly-n-Tony

Can you believe the bird was sitting at the curb free on a pile of junk?! It's a kite and it works so well in that space. It's wired to a pole to hold it in place.

• Sunny

That is adorable!! Excellent way to use a used tire! But my question is, where did you get that awesome owl?

• Mar14176411

Gorgeous!..but l have been very disappointed in the Rustoleum spray

I sprayed a cane seating..2 chairs & couch..gorgeous color like your tyre.

not even 1 year ago. it's under cover, but the paint is coming off..& I did 2 coats..disappointing, as it cost me $100 Australian..can anyone give me any reason/feedback please? Because your tyre is outdoors too.

• Carmine

Hi elliebgood, I just read your comment about painting a deck, what process do you recommend to paint it or varnish I’m a first time home owner and trying to do stuff myself and planning to paint my deck?