Suitcase Garden

$15
1 Day

I have an obsession with anything antique and sometimes get carried away when acquiring one particular item. A few years ago that item was suitcases, I couldn't get enough of old suitcases. Well, the obsession is over and now I'm left with a lot of suitcases.
This suitcase doesn't have a handle and the inside is not that great so I decided to put it to good use and make it into an herb garden.
As you can see, the elastic has rotted away on the inside and the backing is coming off.
To begin this project, I used a utility knife and cut the material that connected the lid to the bottom of the case.
Then I ripped the inside of the bottom part out. I left the inside of the lid intact.
I discovered that the case was made of wood so that would be great for this project.
I needed drainage holes so I closed the lid and flipped the case so it was resting on the lid (with the bottom of the case facing up).
Using a 1/4" bit, I drilled several holes through the bottom of the case.
I need to line the case so I flipped it around again and opened the lid.
I sprayed the bottom of the case with a spray adhesive.
I laid a clean, black plastic garbage in the bottom, smoothing it out.
Next I sprayed each side of the case then adhered the black plastic onto the side. For extra strength, I stapled the plastic along the upper rim of the side.
Once the case was lined in plastic, I had to punch the drainage holes through the plastic.
A - I took a screwdriver and stuck it through the holes I had drilled in the bottom of the suitcase,
B - poking a hole through the plastic on the inside.
Since I had used spray adhesive, there was no chance of water getting underneath the plastic.
I sprayed the entire case, inside and out, with a clear sealer since it would be outside.
I set the suitcase onto an outside table so it wasn't on the ground.
Once the sealer was dry,
A - I spread a layer of pea gravel onto the plastic lining the bottom. This would help with drainage.
B - Then I spread about three to four inches of potting soil over the pea gravel.
I planted five different types of herbs into the soil.
Once everything was planted, I watered the garden well.
This little garden is so cute! I use the pockets to hold gloves and a pair of scissors to snip my herbs.
This little garden would be really great for someone who lives in an apartment or doesn't want to tend a large garden. You could even take it inside in the winter and have fresh herbs all year long.
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)