Unique Upcycled Map and Denim Lamp

$5

One of my favourite things is to personalize my upcycled projects by using maps of places that are special to me and my family. You can see all my past map projects here.

My other second favourite thing to repurpose is old jeans. so I was super happy when I managed to use both these materials, maps and denim, with this cool and unique floor lamp upcycle.

I especially love the old road maps printed on linen paper that you can often find really cheaply in thrift stores and online on sites such as eBay. But I often find elderly relatives have a stash of out of date road maps they are happy to get rid of.

unique upcycled map and denim lamp

I had an old outdated floor lamp and decided to give it the denim and map treatment.

unique upcycled map and denim lamp

The first thing I did was strip the lampshade down to the bare wire frame.

unique upcycled map and denim lamp

The next thing I did was to make a template of a section of the scallop shape of the wire lampshade frame. The template had a seam allowance of approx 10mm.

I then use this template to cut out the map shapes I need for the lampshade. My scalloped lampshade was made of 8 sections. So I cut out 8 map shaped scalloped pieces.

unique upcycled map and denim lamp

The next thing to do is to smear strong tacky glue onto one wire section of the lampshade and carefully stick down the map. Do not use the hot glue gun as that dries too quickly. You will want time to maneuver the map into place before the glue sets.

unique upcycled map and denim lamp

Place glue onto the wire of the next section of the lampshade. Also apply glue to the long edge of the next map section. As you stick down this map to the lampshade glue the two edges of the maps together along the 10mm seam. Carry on until the whole map is covered.

unique upcycled map and denim lamp

To tidy up the top edge of the lampshade I glued a velvet ribbon trim.

unique upcycled map and denim lamp

To the bottom scalloped shape of the lampshade I added a denim trim made from the seams of old jeans.

unique upcycled map and denim lamp

unique upcycled map and denim lamp

The next part of the project involved covering the lamp base and stand in denim. I started off with the base using a staple gun to secure the denim tightly.

unique upcycled map and denim lamp

Next using glue to stick them. I wound the seams and waistbands of old jeans around the lamp stand.

unique upcycled map and denim lamp

There are more photos and instructions on the blog post if you need them. Link at the end.

unique upcycled map and denim lamp

I think that the denim and map floor lamp fits in with my decor.

I've also just recently made another upcycled lamp which is proving to be very popular on pinterest. This time it's a table lamp made from a pickle jar and woven denim which you can see here.

Seams and waistbands off old jeans

Claire at Pillarboxblue