Jenni Ingram
Jenni Ingram
  • Wexford, PA

DIY Faux Barn Wood Finish

$25

I did it again.

Sometimes you love a finish so much, it needs to be repeated. As soon as I picked up this piece at a my favorite furniture store, I knew exactly what I was going to do with it!

Barn wood furniture is rustic, aged, and so popular, BUT a faux barn wood finish is something you can do to just about anything! 

This combination is classic, fresh and a great way to incorporate some farmhouse style in a home. 

I started by painting the top of these Milk Paint, (you can also use gray stain if your wood is in pretty good shape), then I added layers of walnut and oak stain. Applying it in the direction of the grain in just the right way mimics the look of old weathered barn wood. 

I had some chalk paint on hand from a new brand I was trying out. It was the perfect color for the chunky turned legs on this table. Honestly, I really didn't love the paint, it was sticky and hard to get a smooth finish without showing brush strokes. Chalk paint is sometimes supposed to show brushstrokes, but after using GF Milk Paint for so long, I just prefer the nice smooth finish Milk Paint gives. 

I distressed the edges just a bit to show some of the edges and turns. 

I had this one knob in my stash from Hobby Lobby, I thought it was the perfect contrast - a little bling with the barn wood finish. 

Hard to believe that's the same table don't you think? Want more details? I have a full tutorial available, just click the blog link below:

👇👇👇👇

http://www.rootsandwingsfurniture.com/blog/barnwoodconsole

If you like this project please subscribe to my emails for all my current projects. Follow me on Facebook @RootsandWingsFurniture where I share even more of my tips and advice. 

Jenni Ingram