Crystal @ Urban Patina
Crystal @ Urban Patina
  • Shakopee, MN

Arles Spoon Carved Dresser

There was no passing up this cute spoon carved dresser...no matter how much work it was going to take to make it functional again, it deserved to be brought back to life. It's an absolutely amazing piece, dating back to the late 1800s. How do I know that? A sure sign is that the drawers have Knapp Joints and that type of construction was only used between 1870 and 1900...so IT IS OLD! {a little factoid for today}
I knew almost immediately that I would paint this beauty a soft buttery yellow with some white highlights to give the flowers the attention they deserve. It turned out better then I ever expected! I think this is one of my new favorite makeovers.
arles spoon carved dresser, chalk paint, painted furniture
I painted this dresser with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, Arles for the body and Old White for the inside of the drawers and the highlights.
I also updated the hardware because it was missing two pulls. I thought these new glass knobs would compliment the flower detailing nicely.
I don't normally paint the inside of drawers but the smell was so awful that I had to take action! After a thorough cleaning, I gave the drawers a coat of Kilz and then a coat of Old White.
Because the dresser is so old, I felt my new paint needed a heavy distressing in order to look age appropriate.
I finished the piece with a coat of clear and dark wax,

To see more: http://urbanpatina.blogspot.com/2014/05/buttery-yellow-spoon-carved-dresser.html

• Carla

How did you paint the spoon carvings so as not to interfere with the other paint?